DjangoBooks.com

Slippery Picks--Wegen Content

edited February 2009 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 93
Hey Guys,

I have been using a Wegen Trimus pick 3.5mm for a while now and I really like it for rhythm, comping, etc. One thing I tend to notice is when I play fast la pompe the pick has a tendency to rotate from slipping in my fingers. I naturally hold the pick at a 45 degree angle to get that brush effect on my la pompe and I don't want to hold the pick to hard/tight so I lose speed, but the occasional rotating while I'm playing is kind of annoying. Any suggestions both technical and remedy wise would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    You can mess up with a knife the part of the pick where you grip it or glue a small piece of sandpaper to each side. Works great!
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Also, some guys use rosin - get the cheapest grade of bow rosin you can find and rub your pick holding fingers on it before taking the stage. Or find a product called 'gorilla snot' which I think is rosin mixed with some form of gelatin or glycerin which softens it and makes it really grippy. Shelley Park uses that stuff when she gigs. It's not as clean as a mechanical solution but works great - anything to get you in the habit of a nice relaxed hand and grip is good - whether you're using cuts or sandpaper or goo - you're on the right track by focusing on keeping your grip relaxed.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • Hey thanks for the responses. I have heard about the product 'gorilla snot' and the sandpaper technique. Normally, when playing gigs or practicing and my hands get sweaty, I will simply lick my index and thumb to get some of the sweat off and this method does work a bit to prevent slipping. However I will try some of the things you guys have suggested. I just want the maximum level of relaxtion in my hands and wrist when playing rhythm without the slipping.