DjangoBooks.com

Need Help With a Practice Regimen

periclimenespericlimenes Santa Ana, CANew
edited January 2009 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 140
Hi Everyone,

This holiday season, my family and friends caught wind of my interest in GJ and I am now in possession of the following:

Gitane GJ-15
Gypsy Rhythm
Gypsy Picking
Pearl Django Play-Along
A few gigantic GJ picks (a moustache 4mm and a Wegen)

I have been having a blast working on la pompe and learning a few songs, but I now have the "good problem" of being a little overwhelmed with what to do now. I am setting aside about an hour a day to practice, and I was hoping some of you could recommend the best way to use all of the resources and help me figure out how to structure my practice time.

A few more pieces of info:

I have been playing (non-GJ) guitar for 15 years or so
A have a pretty solid theory background (I was a music theory minor in college)

And finally, I live in Orange County, CA if anyone knows a GJ teacher in the area (I have asked about this before, and nobody seems to know one, but this year's DFLA is in Orange County, so I am hoping there is someone...)

Any advice you have about what to work on and how to break up my practice time would be appreciated!

Thanks,

peri

Comments

• RicardoRicardo Cornwall UKNew
    Hi, i'm no expert but I would advise mastering the rhythm first. Try playing along with backing tracks and cd's until the new chord shapes feel natural and you have a grasp of the various effects which you can apply. When it's feeling right and sounds good, tuck into the Gypsy picking book. I remember I used to spend half an hour on an exercise or two and then half an hour putting what you learned into practice over a backing track. You need to work in a musical context in order to maintain interest. it's taken me three years to get to a fairly comfortable level using this approach.Good luck.
    Not now dear, I have a terrible Djangover.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Congrats on the new gear!
    I second the "learn rhythm first" advice. At least get a good working pompe with the right sound and motions, with a good grasp and a few popular tunes (Minor swing, All of me, I can't give you) you will be able to join in jams if you attend DFLA, when you get the pompe going you'll begin to have a lot of fun, learning that first will help a lot with the motions and the so important relaxing issue for lead technique.

I would set aside some 15-30 minutes everyday to work on the lead picking technique alone, just proper downstrokes making sure it's relaxed and "by the book", when you master the first 5 or so exercises in the book you'll be ready to play simple melodies, I read Stochelo Rosenberg only used downstrokes for a while at first, so that might be a good way to go.

I think Gonzalo Bergara teaches in LA, try contacting him for lessons.
    Around Laguna Beach lives **** and Jimmy Grant and they could maybe help as well.

Hope this helps.
  • periclimenespericlimenes Santa Ana, CANew
    Thanks for the advice about GJ teachers. Do you have contact info for any of them?

Thanks!
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    If I were you I would just get Dennis Changs DVDs and work through those in a practice regimen and then, with your other time, learn heads and chords from the Robin Nolan gig book until you know the whole book by heart.
  • FransFrans The Netherlands✭✭✭✭
    Hi Periclimenes,
    one point that is often overlooked when finding out what to practice is what it is you really, really, really want to learn, what would motivate you to practice for , say an hour each day. For example, you like Django's music, which tune do you like the most ? which version ? do you like the complete solo or just a phrase ?
    I have found that in the end there are no "easy" GJ tunes, what motivates you to practice and master the material is a deep desire, which gives you the drive and energy to accomplice (?) your goals.
    There is a logical route to learn any tune, learn the form, the chords, the melody, the rhythm etc etc but you will only get good results when you practice material that gives you an emotional reward, maybe this is why so many kids are turned away from music when they are forced to play endless scales and meaningless phrases, if you take away talent and other advantages you are still left with a drive to master your instrument
    Anyway, have fun
    kind regards
    Frans
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    http://www.gonzalobergara.com/contact.html
    I once wrote to him to that address and he answered within a week.
    I think he's pretty busy, but he's a nice guy, maybe you can convince him of giving you lessons at least every once in a while. He sure is a killer player.
    For **** http://www.tommydavy.com/live/ or try his myspace site.
  • patrolpatrol Greece,Athens✭✭✭ Eimers & Goulielmos Antique
    Does anyone know, if there is any Gj teacher in Greece,Athens?
  • ToddTodd Orange county CaNew
    Hey,
    I also have Gitane GJ-10, Gypsy Rhythm, Gypsy Picking, and ONE
    gigantic GJ pick :D . I bought them all a year ago and have been plugging away all year. I mainly focused on the Gypsy Picking book and now I am starting to apply that to learning the tunes.

If you are looking for a teacher you may want to check out http://www.gypsyden.com/. They have the Django Jam twice a month on the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays in Santa Ana. I have gone and checked it out a few times when they travel to Huntington Beach once a month; you can jam with folks or just watch. Some of those guys may be willing to hook up and teach some stuff.

Hope that helps and good luck.
    Todd
  • django'spooltalentdjango'spooltalent ✭✭✭✭
    I regularly go to the gypsy den to play too, it's a great place and everyone is very friendly and welcoming. Hey Todd, where are you in orange county, when was the last time you came to the Gypsy Den?

Hey Per,

I don't know how advanced or novice you are, but I could maybe help you with your pomp or right hand technique, at least see how your doing it.

You can email me at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->
  • ToddTodd Orange county CaNew
    Hey Todd, where are you in orange county, when was the last time you came to the Gypsy Den?

I am in Huntington Beach. I actually have not been to the Den in Santa Ana; I went to the coffee shop in Old World Huntington Beach where Riff Raff plays once a month. I have only observed and have not gotten the nerve to join in...yet :lol: Perhaps I will shoot you an email to get some tips on my pomp 8)

-Todd