DjangoBooks.com

single string chromatic runs

plectromanplectroman Albany New YorkNew
edited December 2008 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 34
This is probably a FAQ, but, when I try a chromatic run, it goes ok til I hit the top string. I lose my timing etc. There seems to be something about the left hand part of it I'm not getting. I'd appreciate any advice!
everything is everything

Comments

• steven_eiresteven_eire Wicklow✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    try not to clench the back of neck with the left hand thumb while you are sliding up on the first string. otherwise i think it's just a matter of hours and hours of practice with the metronome.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    I assume you're talking about ascending on the first string.
    I think it's mostly a matter of timing. It's an effect and it's not supposed to be 100% accurate, the important thing is to land on your target note on time.
    Use your second or third finger to do the slide and as Steven said don't clench the neck.
    Practice, practice, practice.
  • SamuelSamuel New
    Doing a chromatic run, do people usually use their pinky finger or ring finger for the first string slide/run?

Just wondering what people find easier.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    I usually end up using the second finger.
  • plectromanplectroman Albany New YorkNew
    Thanks guys. So, like, reduce the friction by softening the L.H. thumb, gliss w/ second finger, and make sure you get to the note you're aiming for on time. And metronome. Right?
    everything is everything
  • SamuelSamuel New
    Jack wrote:
    I usually end up using the second finger.

Cool, though I have another question.

In Gypsy picking, one of the first musical examples is a fake chromatic run that starts on the low E and goes up string by string. So in general, if you're doing a full run like that, when you get to the high E, are you usually just starting the slide as soon as you get to that string? Or do you play 1-2-3-4 fingers and then start the slide?

In other, perhaps less confusing terms, would you do something like (number representing fingers and \ the slide):

1-2-3-4\

or just start right with the second finger and do 2\

Maybe there isn't exactly a correct answer for this, or I'm not sure how much it matters, but I'm curious
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Samuel,
    I do 1-2 then slide, or maybe 1-2-3-slide. In any case avoid tensing up
  • SamuelSamuel New
    Thanks.

As an aside, it feels weird to have someone refer to me as Samuel, since I never actually go by that. :lol: I just picked it as a username for some odd reason (Sam or something similar was probably already taken and I wasn't feeling creative)
    http://posglov.googlepages.com/tablatures

check the first run on his solo for "charleston".
    there is complete accuracy concerning where he started, where he ended,
    and everything in between, especially the way he ends up with playing four notes per quarter beat after a string of triplets. perfect timing on an e=string run, at least.