DjangoBooks.com

New CD: Angelo Debarre - Trio Tout A Cordes

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Wow!!! :shock: Angelo's best work to date, by far!! The Waltz La Manouche is just outrageous!!
  • richdaiglerichdaigle SLC,UT✭✭✭✭
    all original works!...cool
  • FransFrans The Netherlands✭✭✭✭
    This is one of those "must have" / desert island" discs, it is a bit on the short side but it equals or surpasses his seminal "Gypsy Guitars"
    Another recent Angelo disc which in my opinion is a little overlooked is "Paroles de Swing" with the master Ludovic Beier on accordeon with beautiful renditions of "Sous le ciel de Paris" and "A Bicyclette"
    For me Bireli and Angelo are the pinnacle in Gypsy Jazz, melodic improvisation at its best. Angelo seems sometimes to get a bad rap for his speed but having transcribed a lot of his material I find his lines are always clear, concise and full of ideas, there is absolutely no "noodlin" in his playing although the sheer speed makes it sometimes difficult to fully appreciate
    kind regards

Frans
  • gitpickergitpicker Beijing/San Francisco✭✭✭✭ Gibson, Favino, Eastman
    I just picked this up recently and I have to agree, this CD is freakin' awesome!

Angelo's playing is amazing without saying but also from a compositional standpoint as well this is a great CD. Like Michael said the Valse Manouche is insane but there are other tracks where his playing is quite simple and the melody is king. The last track he tears it up on electric and it sounds great! You'll find fast and medium tempo swing, latin rhythms, valses and ballads on here. It's got a bit of everything!
    www.dougmartinguitar.com
    Live life and play music like it's your last day on earth. One day you'll be right- Russel Malone
  • V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
    I've been spinning this one for the past few weeks. Love it.

The new version of Entre Amis is killer. Thanks for leaving out the rain stick this time, Angelo!
  • simplygoodmusicsimplygoodmusic Rome, ItalyNew
    Manege is my personal favorite of this album, but its great all around.
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    AND.....forgive me if you know this already but if you let the last track play on about 30 seconds after the actual tune ends you get a little recorded thank you from Angelo himself, in French, but at least you get to - finally - hear him speak
    always learning
  • susanspysusanspy New
    edited May 2009 Posts: 1
    Hello all,

Thanks a million for coming up with this forum posts, i am a great fan of Angelo & have all his albums from his day one, i am planning to share it with all on a web site dedicated to Angelo.

Cheers!!!
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    It is a great album - gets a fair amount of airtime in the shop ;-)
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.