DjangoBooks.com

Question about Arpeggios ?

edited August 2008 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 193
Hee,

I've read to first learn the - m6 and m7/5b (serendipity). I think that you can play these over m6 and m7 chords. What is a good song to practise this arpeggio over ? Can somebody explain a bit how arpeggios + soloing works ?

Comments

I own the Stephan Wrembel book and the arpeggios and it seem to be a bit different the those from the serendipity website. example: the seventh chord : http://www.serendipity-band.com/misc/ma ... s-7-en.htm Its starts on the 3 fret of the E string. In the stephan Wrembel book (page. 58 5th fretboard) its eccatly the same only it starts on the 7th fret. Why is this, I think the anwser is simple but im confused ?
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    I don't have stephan's book infront of me but if you are say the patterns are exactley the same, but they start on different frets then they are just different arpeggios. if it starts on the low E at the third fret then it would be G m7/b5 if the same pattern starts on the low 7th fret then it would be a Bm7/b5 (this doesn't account for substitutions and I am only assuming that the not on the low E is the root).
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
    sorry disregard the m7/b5 part I thought for some reason that was the one you were refrencing. you would have G7 and B7 which you would play over those chords.
    CalebFSU wrote:
    sorry disregard the m7/b5 part I thought for some reason that was the one you were refrencing. you would have G7 and B7 which you would play over those chords.

So If I know that above arpeggio on this page http://www.serendipity-band.com/misc/ma ... -m6-en.htm
    , and I shift the root. I have a A7 B7 C7 D7 E7 F7 G7 arpeggio ? :D
    CalebFSU wrote:

So If I know that above arpeggio on this page http://www.serendipity-band.com/misc/ma ... -m6-en.htm
    , and I shift the root. I have a A7 B7 C7 D7 E7 F7 G7 arpeggio ? :D

I mean a (starting from the first fret on the E string),F7 F#7 G7 G#7 A7 etc.
    A F#7 could also be a Gb7
    Technically yes. but that serendipity tutorrial is about how a m6 arpeggio can be used or found in a m7b5 arpegio.
  • dulcimistdulcimist New
    How is that helpful to know that i6 and vi7b5 are really one and the same? I'm new to GJ so this is a curious question not a challenge. In what context will I use this knowledge? Thanks.
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    Really, the Bm7b5, G9, and Dm6 are subs of eachother. It's not just the m7b5 and m6. Draw the notes on a guitar fingerboard chart and you will see.
  • dulcimistdulcimist New
    So, if I'm in the key of Am, and the chart says Dm, I could play a Bm7b5. Correct?

Does that also mean that if I'm in the key of Bm, i could substitute the Bm (i) with a Dm6? I'm not as sure about this one.
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    Indeed, Dm6, Bm7b5 are the same. It's basically moving the Bass. You'll find good examples of it in Blue Drag and Topsy.

You can substitute Bm with D. (I'd even say D6/9 as B is the 6th).
    It would work with Dm, if you had Bmb5, because in that case the b5 becomes the b3 of D, and so makes it Dm and not D (is it clear... ?).

Bm6 = D
    Bm7b5 = Dm

Try to place them on the neck of the guitar to see how they relate to each other, play the scales too and you'll see they share exactly the same notes...
    - JG