DjangoBooks.com

New CD: Zaiti Acoustic Quartet - Still Time

Comments

• MitchMitch Paris, Jazz manouche's capital city!✭✭✭✭ Di Mauro, Lebreton, Castelluccia, Patenotte, Gallato
    This record is a hit!
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I just took a listen to this....this is a great CD! :shock: :shock:

In many ways it's a sequel to the amazing Selmer 607 CD...it showcases the best young talent in France (Adrien Moignard and Mathieu Chatelain) and man they are good!

Some of the most common topics on the Gypsy Jazz forums over the years have been "When will Gypsy Jazz guitarists stop copying Django and do something original?" and "Will non-Gypsies ever be able to play this music as well as the Gypsies?"

Well...this CD is the answer those questions...

'm
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    Adrien Moignard is really something special.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    This has been my favorite record for the past month or so.
    Full of fresh ideas and mindblowing playing. Adrien is always searching for new sounds and what he finds...whew!
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    I just took a listen to this....this is a great CD! :shock: :shock:

In many ways it's a sequel to the amazing Selmer 607 CD...it showcases the best young talent in France (Adrien Moignard and Mathieu Chatelain) and man they are good!

Some of the most common topics on the Gypsy Jazz forums over the years have been "When will Gypsy Jazz guitarists stop copying Django and do something original?" and "Will non-Gypsies ever be able to play this music as well as the Gypsies?"

Well...this CD is the answer those questions...

'm

Man, I've been waiting for people to start noticing this album!!! They probably just haven't sold enough yet for the buzz to start - but it will. These guys are exemplary musicians respecting the genre while evolving it. If the old man of GJ was alive to hear this it'd put a smile on his face for sure.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
    Hey Bob, seem that respect is mutual, Mathieu told me that in his opinion you're the best builder this side of the Atlantic and that your guitars are better than Duponts.

Hey Michael, could you shed some light on what kind of pompe styles Mathieu plays on that record, like on Double Scotch and Impromptu??
    Is it the pompe four? It just swings like mad!
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Regarding Mathieu, he talked a lot about stressing the 1 and 3 instead of the 2 and 4, saying that the difference was what he noticed most when comparing European players to Americans--he mentioned that even the rhythm of an applauding audience differs depending on the location. I know some other guys can elucidate...most of the time I spent with Mathieu was at a local bar...

There's no doubt, though, that it swings. This album is one of the few recent releases that really reaches into the modern world of jazz, and it's an amazing (and amazingly mature) piece of work. I haven't been able to get it out of my head. And the tunes! Wes, Coltrane, etc...to my mind, this is exactly what gypsy jazz needs. Mark my words: Four On Six is about to become the new must-know at jams everywhere.

best,
    Jack.
  • robertsaundersrobertsaunders Brookline, MA✭✭✭✭ 2007 Gitane DB-255
    Words hereby marked, Jack—I have history with 4 on 6: I learned Wes's solo to it on a big Super 400 twenty years ago when I never thought I'd see a merging of Wes and Django into one hybrid form. But through a catalyst known as Adrien Moignard that day is upon us. Sacre bleu!

So I put in my order for the CD this morning. Having done two workshops with Adrien and heard Zaiti's Northampton concert from the best seats in the house, I gotta own this CD.

By the way, Jack, nice version of 4 on 6 with BOK Trio. Not too shabby yourself!

~Rob
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator

Hey Michael, could you shed some light on what kind of pompe styles Mathieu plays on that record, like on Double Scotch and Impromptu??
    Is it the pompe four? It just swings like mad!

Like a lot of the younger French players, Mathieu plays in the style I called pompe four in the rhythm book.

It's a cool way to play...very clean and sort of modern. As Jack mentioned, Mathieu stresses beats 1 and 3, which is also common in the German style too. I did find that Mathieu was pretty adamant that this was THE way to play, despite the fact that there are so many other styles, most notably the traditional la pompe which Django, Fapy, etc use. That has much more emphasis on the 2 and 4.

Both are great, just personal choice.

'm
    Thanks Michael.