DjangoBooks.com

dfnw membership sucks

gipsygirlgipsygirl New
edited August 2008 in Archtop Eddy's Corner Posts: 12
i 'v attended all 5 dfnw, as well as few in cal. . i drive 1100 miles to get to dfnw . and every year the prices go up, now just getting there is going to be almost twice as much as last year. i can only efford to come up for sat and sun this year and would like to get a good seat down front.
but now if your not a djangofest member and if you have not paid at least $100 you have to wait a whole month after tix go on sale before you can order a tix for yourself, thats not right or fare to all of us who have supported djangofest and have paid alot of money to get there and have paid ever increasing tix cost through out the years. if people want to donate money to djangofest, thats find. but to have it where only members get the choice seats is wrong, i feel like i'm being penalized because i just can't afford to pay out an extra $100 (which i would guess is just going in some ones pocket, nobody's goin' broke here). in it for the music or the money?

Comments

• AdelaarvarenAdelaarvaren Ballard, WA, USANew
    This is capitalism....

If you don't want to pay, don't. But then accept that perhaps it won't exist in the future, because it needs to be worth the promoters time. It's not Europe where the State gives money to support the arts (outside of the little NEA). Corporate sponsorship here comes from people like Michael who is (I assume) limited in what he can give - he's not Bill Gates ;)

You can come up and camp for $10 a night and probably get the chance to play with some amazing people. Or even save your money and go to Samois - which isn't free either...

If we don't pay people like the Rosenberg Trio proper salaries, they will have less motivation to work hard. If you want to see people who play on the weekends and a bit after work, you don't have to support them, they have jobs.
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    The festival used to be cheaper but back then it didn't have the big acts that it is attracting now. Now it has become a full fledged festival with a history of many major players attending. Since Djangofest started the price of gas has doubled and the amount of money in our economy has also doubled and so why not also double the price of Djangofest tickets? It only makes sense.

If they want to double the price of the tickets go ahead and let them but I hope they can give us something back like making the festival even 1 week earlier next year. Every week they move it back increases the chance of good weather hugely! The 2nd weekend of September would be optimal!
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    i've never been to any nick lehr produced djangofests before... but one thing's for sure with the acts that he's got coming, it takes a lot (and i mean A LOT) of resources to produce such an event... that would probably explain the hefty price... and if that's the case, it's reasonable...

i bring out a lot of artists to montreal as well from europe, and it's really stressful and difficult... and it does suck when people who are die-hard fans of the music don't support it because it's "too expensive".... but then they go and party every week , spends lot of money on booze, etc... that's my rant there... it really is F'in hard to produce events
  • gipsygirlgipsygirl New
    ok, i can understand that prices can go up and artiste need to be paid.
    and every year i handle paying abit more for the fest and the artiste,thats find. but i also expect fairness and a even playing field when it comes to buying tix. especailly when many are traveling thousands of miles to be there. the idea of a membership thing is fine. if it helps support the music
    ok, be a member get some discounts and gifts or information ect...
    but the buying of tix should be fair for all, not just those that can afford a extra $100 or more right now. thats the main point. the tix situation should be changed. does anyone agree with anything i'm saying?
  • AndoAndo South Bend, INModerator Gallato RS-39 Modèle Noir
    How much money are we talking to put on DFNW this year? Give me a grand total.
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    What you are suggesting is that Djangofest turn itself into a non-profit. What kind of crazy suggestion is that?

On the other hand, if someone were to charter a new non-profit Djangofest, which recycles profits from one year to power the next, im sure it would be able to compete for business with no problems and could generate a following that appreciates the fact that every $$$ goes to the festival. In the charter you could probably pay someone a salary to be the manager. With a $60,000 budget (3000 tix * $20 @ 10 shows of 300 persons ) you could do a lot.
  • AndoAndo South Bend, INModerator Gallato RS-39 Modèle Noir
    $60k? Really? I thought it would be much more. That's music to my ears.
  • gipsygirlgipsygirl New
    non-profit not suggesting that at all. lets get off the $
    what about the un ethical tix situation. where members can buy tix now all others have to wait a month. as i said contributing $ and being a member is find and getting perks is find. but not when it takes away something from someone else. tix sales should be first come first serve and fair for all. now anyone care to comment on that!
    in a way it feels like some of us are being penalized for not being able to afford to be a member right now.
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Likely, that pricing model is necessary to reach break even. A lot of people who don't know or support this music would love to be able to swoop in and get front row tickets to Larry Coryell etc... for $50 and then leave.

I'm not giving Nick a blank check - I think we should provide a check and balance to keep him honest, but I understand when he gives advantage to the "full meal deal" people because they are the ones who give him the big chunk of cash right up front that he needs to go pay artists and buy airfare so he can secure good acts and get people decent travel and accomodations.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • KlezmorimKlezmorim South Carolina, USANew
    Good comments, as always, Bob.

Me? I'm a bit more blunt: RHIP, viz. Rank Has It's Privileges.

If I pay for a membership that includes Special Privileges, then By Deity, I expect those privileges. If some whiny-@55 street urchin says 'But that's not FAIR!!,' I'm not very sympathetic. I think it's wonderful that DFNW's paid members get first dibs at tickets. I wish ALL of my memberships had such a meaningful Rewards Program!

So suck it up this year, buy your membership and enjoy great seats in '09.

(Scalpers need not apply.)