DjangoBooks.com

Gypsy picking technique

Nimzo2005Nimzo2005 Pordenone, ItalyNew
edited May 2008 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 15
Hello, I have just begun to study the gypsy technique. After years of alternate picking with electric I was a bit afraid of this technique. Always starting on a string with a down stroke, right? Well, it doesn't seem that terrible. I'm quickly forgetting alternate picking and I feel comfortable with the gypsy picking. Is it so simple or am I doing something wrong?

Comments

• SimoniusSimonius New
    I think your confused. There's a lot of alternate picking in gipsy jazz. Basically the key element of the gipsy picking technique is positioning your hand in a certain way. There's more to it ofcourse.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    My two cents...
    First of all, get "Gypsy picking" by Michael Horowitz.

The position of the hand is very important indeed, as is staying relaxed but I would say the "key element" is the so called rest stroke and it's overwhelming abundance in this style of picking. That in my opinion is where that typical tone and phrasing come from.
    The mechanics and particulars are all very well explained in great detail in Horowitz's book.

Some people have suggested to begin by playing all downstrokes for a while and after you've got that down start mixing it with upstrokes where needed (while respecting the "Rules" of course), but in my opinion is best to do it as Michael's book suggests since the very beginning.

I think it'll take you a few months to really get the hang of it... But trust me, it's totally worth it.
    It's very tough to get much speed at first, just concentrate on getting a good tone and staying relaxed.
    I recommend following Michael Horowitz's instructions on the "Gypsy Picking" book as closely as possible, and work very slow.
    You'll also benefit a lot from Denis Chang's "Technique and improvisation" particularly vol I.
    Working on the "correct" way of playing "la pompe" helps a lot too.
    Good luck!
    By the way you don't have to forget your actual technique just put it aside for some time while you learn to pick this way.
  • Nimzo2005Nimzo2005 Pordenone, ItalyNew
    Many thanks for your advices, it was too easy to be true. I think I'll get the book. My biggest problem is that I can't find a teacher in this area, so I don't know if I'm doing things right. But I'm lucky anyway: I found this forum :P