DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Related Discussions

Who's Online (0)

Today's Birthdays

AbbeyLyman TDog test joechoo LatriceCha

Comments

• Ted GottsegenTed Gottsegen Rowayton, CTModerator
    edited April 2005 Posts: 615
    Hey All,

I'm very pleased that Michael has Kamlo's new CD for sale here. I was first introduced to his inventive playing in Samois 2001, when he was playing on the Peniche (back when you could actually get tickets!). His playing is thoroughly modern - one of his primary influences being Jean-Philippe "Juanito" Watremez. They share a lot in common, including musical ideas and tone, but I find that Watremez is more willing to actually go avant-garde, whereas Kamlo is deep in the jazz vein. He is interested in performing essentially modern jazz in the hot club format. Tunes like "You and The Night and Music", "You've Changed" (IMO reminiscent of Chet Baker's early 1980's version of "Oh, You Crazy Moon"), a really nice "Swing Valse" that is reminiscent of Baro's version, and the rest are basically kick ass originals - inventive, fresh and exciting.

Kamlo; my understanding is that Kamlo is Gypsy for "Nice and Sweet" and is an apt nickname for this gadjo who is highly respected by the Gypsies, is in a class all by himself. He is reminiscent and very respectful of the past, but he is blazing his own path like a true jazzman.

Check this CD out if you can, you can probably listen to tracks here:

http://tinyurl.com/8qcw2

Ironically, the track that I'm least excited by is his cover of "Nuages". It's bland and straight and like just about every other version recorded over the last 70 years. He's doing his job and paying respect to Django and his legacy (for you newbies, you're expected to play tunes like this and "Minor Swing" in France).

Best,

Ted
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Thanks for the review Ted!

I've got sampes here: Kamlo
    Sorry, let me add that the two other new releases that Moishe has for sale are must haves. Joseph Reinhardt, "live in Paris", is a snapshot - one night in the career of a legend. As I posted in another thread, Jon Larsen calls this "authentic lo-fi", which is exactly what it is. A fan, documenting an important artist. Joe's career was pretty spotty during this period, he was both on and off the road, and just doing his thing. This isn't the best example of Joseph out there, but it is the only Joseph on CD, so add this to your collection, it's really worth it so get it!

As for Matelo, this contains several other tracks that have been mentioned on the board before, namely four of the eight "Inedits du Django" - "Montagne Ste. Genvieve", "Gagoug", "Chot" and "Chez Jacquet - Le Petit Chaumiere". The rest of the album is more eastern european influenced with absolutely no jazz content. However, according so some sources, this was the only album that Matelo recorded which he was really proud of. I was told that "he felt like he created something beautiful...".

Now that this music is readily available (I had to wait a month to mail order mine from Norway), everyone should get the entire HCR catalog, include Hot Club de Norvege, which is a great band. Their early recordings are straight Hot Club swing, tastefully done and masterfully played. As for the rest of their catalog, there are many fine CD's featuring Jimmy Rosenberg, Angelo Debarre, Baro Ferret, and others. Lets support the little guys who are struggling financially to make this music available, like Moishe here, Jon Larsen and many others.

Best,

Ted
  • jerojero Michiana✭✭✭✭ J.P. Favino, Godefroy Maruejouls
    Ditto on the Kamlo kudos! He's a very fine player indeed -- and a great composer. His waltzes are lovely -- lyrical, melancholy, and just plain gorgeous! The addition of vibraphone on a few tracks is a nice touch, too.

His first CD "Salammbo" -- with ex-Lathco Drom-er Jean-Francois Ruiz playing mostly nylon-string -- is equally strong, but damned hard to find (I think that it was self-produced).

Ted: I agree with you that the addition of "Nuages" is extraneous -- it feels as if it was just tacked on at the end to fill space. It sounds as if it was recorded live -- at La Chope, perhaps?
    Hi Jero,
    jero wrote:
    Ditto on the Kamlo kudos! He's a very fine player indeed -- and a great composer. His waltzes are lovely -- lyrical, melancholy, and just plain gorgeous! The addition of vibraphone on a few tracks is a nice touch, too.

Most definitely. In this regard he is a breath of fresh air.
    jero wrote:
    His first CD "Salammbo" -- with ex-Lathco Drom-er Jean-Francois Ruiz playing mostly nylon-string -- is equally strong, but damned hard to find (I think that it was self-produced).

Agreed, "Salammbô" is outstanding, although I believe only three or so tracks have nylon string guitar, the rest feature both Kamlo and Ruiz playing a Favino Modéle Jazz S. It was self produced, I got my copy from Kamlo. He is really paranoid about the pirating of his CD. When I met him in Samois two years ago and told him that I enjoyed his album, his first question was "Where'd you get it?".
    jero wrote:
    Ted: I agree with you that the addition of "Nuages" is extraneous -- it feels as if it was just tacked on at the end to fill space. It sounds as if it was recorded live -- at La Chope, perhaps?

I don't know where, to me it sounds too noisey for La Chope, I suspect one of the many restuarants and cafés that he plays at. Also, his rhythm guitarist, gadjo Franck Winterstein (no relation to any of the Gypsy Wintersteins) is really good as well, and he gets a dynamite sound!

Best,

Ted
  • CuimeanCuimean Los AngelesProdigy
    I found my copy of "Salammbô" at Jazz Corner in Paris. For what it's worth, I'll also endorse Kamlo's playing and writing. He's working solidly within the genre but with his own distinct voice. Top notch stuff.
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    I've been trying to find Salammbô for purchase somewhere...agreed, he's a fantastic player, as well as a fantastic teacher - one of the best experiences of my time in this music was a rhythm class with Kamlo at DIJ. And I'd love to get this CD, but am coming up empty. Anyone?
    pas encore, j'erre toujours.