DjangoBooks.com

FS: Six String Banjo

Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
edited February 2008 in Classifieds Posts: 795
Friday are usually a slow day at the forum, so I thought it might be a good time for this......

FS: Galveston Six String Banjo, $100 plus $15 for shipping anywhere in the lower 48. I bought it on eBay last year on a lark, just to give it a try. Played it for a couple months, used it a travel instrument to keep my fingering up (I learned Django's solo in the up tempo Eb part of Embraceable You on this thing) but the novelty wore off and it's collecting dust, gotta go. I paid $210 all up for it new w/ gig bag and strap. It came with a resonator, but it was heavy and I took it off. I'll send it along and you can put back it on if you like.

The neck is decent and guitar like, 25-1/2” which is close enough to Selmer's 670mm that it doesn't feel too weird. Shape is a fairly thick C shape. Fret board is flat slightly narrower than a Selmer style. Action is currently fairly high, but playable. Could be adjusted lower by sanding bridge feet. Neck has a truss rod that works.

Insanely loud, no wonder these things were used the early acoustic jazz groups. Resonator makes it even more so. Sounds like a banjo, not a guitar.

This is an inexpensive instrument, so don't expect too much, but if you've ever had a hankering to play a six string banjo or to add a different sound to your group, here's a chance. Condition is frankly better than new. The removal of the resonator, string change, truss rod adjustment, head tensioning and a variety of small setup tasks improved the out-of-the box condition. More could arguably be done. My next move would be to try heavier strings and lower the action some. I'll leave it to you to decide.

Click on the picture below for the larger version.

Craig Bumgarner