DjangoBooks.com

AK vs. Moustache

KcoxKcox Montreal, QCNew
I'm thinking about trying somtheing other than a Wegen...what are the opinions on AK vs. Moustache picks? The AKs look like they might be a bit too pointy for my taste...is it easy for them to get "hung up" on strings?

Kevin

Comments

• Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    I have been using the Moustache now for a few weeks and I really like it. I was hooked on a Wegen for a long time and always went back to it after trying others. The Moustache is a great pick and the tone is really nice. I bit brighter the the Wegen. I can't speak for the life span of the pick but so far it looks good. I notice some white dust on my guitar after playing a gig soon after I got the pick but that has stopped. I think it was just cutting the new edges off. It is a good pick and I would tell any one to try one. My Wegen has not com eout for neerly a month now and as far as I can see it will be a backup at this point.

by the by I'm using the 4mm Moustache

Cheers
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    If you use an AK, don't do any hard rhythm chopping - esp sambas where you're scuffing back and forth across the strings. I really messed the tip of mine up. I fixed it with wet-dry fine sandpaper... but basically - I hosed it and had to take 1/4 mm of material off to get it back to completely smooth and properly shaped again.

It's a nice lead pick though, lots of snap.

What is the moustache made of? Is it as hard as bone or is it a delrin-like material (like a Wegens) or is it a lexan-like material (like AK) or is it something entirely different?

BTW: Josh - I won't be in San Fran. this year (bummer, but I'm going to Hawaii for a couple weeks prior to taking my new job and won't feel comfortable asking my boss for another vacation so soon. I'm going to talk w/ Peter this Monday and we'll figure out a time to get you out here for an impromptu gig. Would a Monday night gig really mess you up? Maybe we can talk the pub owner into a weekend night if we nail a couple of these Mondays.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • mchllynemchllyne New
    I've grown very used to my Wegan Gypsy picks now although I have to admit it took a while.The whole gypsy guitar thing took me ages to feel comfortable with,what with the higher action,greater string tension and not to mention that "d" position marker which still drives me nuts at times.
    However I love my 250m despite it's eccentricities and will keep it.Something I want to ask though concerning the Wegans---are the made from a soft material? I love the sound of the lower strings being picked but am not happy with the sound of the b and e strings picked higher up the fretboard It's a kind of brassy "boing" sort of sound.
    I"ve tried using a Dunlop Big Stubbie and that sounds crisper except that pick has'nt got the bulk to drive these guitars.Are the AK's or the Moustaches of a harder material? I think my ideal pick would be a Wegan made of Stubbie cheap plastic.
    Mike