DjangoBooks.com

Angle of stroke?

WitchTiplerWitchTipler Montreal,QCNew
edited February 2008 in Technique Posts: 13
storkeanglecc3.th.jpg

storkestraighthb6.th.jpg

With regards to angle which is correct? or is there even a correct angle?
is the different angle used for different effect?

Naturally my wrist and arm wants to do the first picture but in Dennis video he seems to have a very straight stroke through the strings similar to the second pic.

Any comments.

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I'd say the second is probably better....but the angle you need to worry about it that of the pick itself. If you're playing with the pick perpendicular to the strings then it will be very harsh.

'm
  • periclimenespericlimenes Santa Ana, CANew
    So should the pick be angled

a) so the tip is pointed up toward the top of the guitar like this: / xxxxxx where the slash is the pick, the xs are the strings (low E on the left, high E on the right) and the view is looking from the bridge down the neck of the guitar?

or

b) angled so (for a right-handed player), looking down at the pick, the left side of it (the side that the tip of your thumb hangs over) is tilted down at an angle, so the thumb-tip edge of the pick hits the strings first?

or both? or neither?
    i guess "a"...these things are incredibly hard to put into words.
  • WitchTiplerWitchTipler Montreal,QCNew
    Thanks Michael,

My first stroke (bum of bum-chik) would be further away from perpendicular than the second (chik), the second being faster and more bitey(can't think of a better word :oops: ) the second naturally takes a more perpendicular angle due to the speed.

This sounds good but not sure that it's correct.
  • beebobeebo New
    edited February 2008 Posts: 8
    would it be fair to say that the pick should roughly be slanted down towards your left foot / up towards your right shoulder?
    beebo wrote:
    would it be fair to say that the pick should roughly be slanted down towards your left foot / up towards your right shoulder?

yes....
  • beebobeebo New
    thanks