DjangoBooks.com

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Holy Moses! M, are you sure you didn't miss a model???
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hey Jack...they probably make a few others I don't know about!

These are great amps.....if you're using a Stimer or some other magnetic pickup these are probably one of the best amp choices around. The Evans RE200s are just a bit heavier then an AER (and lighter then a Unico). So they have the same portability as other Gypsy friendly rigs, but do much better with a Stimer.

I especially like the Hybrid which has a tube preamp. It really rounds the notes off nicely and add lots of color. A really fat warm sound with lots of detail. Other amps sound cold and very "transitory" by comparison. The Solid state Evans has a "Buff" control which adds tube like overtones.

The 10" speaker has a huge frequency response, much better low end then 8" speakers in the AER and Unico.

The Evans also does surprisingly well with a bigtone....they have a special 6db boost input for piezos.

These amps have an amazing amount of tonal control. check out the dash board:

opcontrolhy_thumb.jpg

The Body and Depth knobs gives you great control over the mids. I find the mids are the hardest thing to dial in on most amps. On the GypsyKat I cut the mids entirely! I asked Frank Vignola and he said he does the same thing....

It was interesting comparing the hybrid tube sound with the regular solid state. The Hybrid gives you a really warm, fat lead sound but can be less defined. The low end is tighter and chords are clearer on the Solid State model.

I should also mention that you can get crazy loud with these amps....the 200 watts will deliver rock band volumes. The amp will drive extension speakers for even more sound!
    'm
    The RE200 model has been causing quite a stir among Gypsy players here in Seattle. Several guys have traded in their AERs for these, including Neil Andersson of Pearl Django. He's now gigging with the RE200 and told me both the band and many regular audience members were astounded at the tone he was getting. He's using either a bigtone or a Stimer, both with excellent results.

I've been using the RE200 on most of my gigs as well. Same reaction from band members and audience...there's something about the thick, warm, rounded sound of these amps that just gives people goosebumps.

One thing I've realized after using this amp for a while is that a 10" speaker is far superior for rhythm playing. Most other "Gypsy" amps use an 8" which has a harder time reproducing a great rhythm sound. I just love playing rhythm through the RE200....the low end is so clear and defined. You can really drive the band when that 10" gets cranking. And the great thing is that with this amp you get the 10" speaker and 200 Watts of power all bundled into an easily transportable 25lb combo amp. That's not easy to find...

'm
  • chip3174chip3174 New
    Michael you're right about these Evans, they have their company here in NC.

I heard a guy playing an archtop with a portable 100watt (which unfortunately, they don't make anymore) in front of a big band...you had no problem hearing him and the sound was like a tube amp!!

They have this compression control called "Scruff" and you apparently can get a more tubey sound with it

I've never tried a Gypsy guitar through my evans, just electric archtops but they are worth every penny.

Cheers,
    Chip
    chip3174 wrote:
    Michael you're right about these Evans, they have their company here in NC.

I actually went to high school in Greensboro..wish I had known about these guys back then!
    I heard a guy playing an archtop with a portable 100watt (which unfortunately, they don't make anymore) in front of a big band...you had no problem hearing him and the sound was like a tube amp!!

I think the newer 200 watt RE200 is actually lighter, more powerful, and sounds better so they just discontinued the 100W one.
    They have this compression control called "Scruff" and you apparently can get a more tubey sound with it

The RE200 has a "Buff" control which is the same thing. The RE200 Hybrid has a tube preamp for a real tube sound!
    I've never tried a Gypsy guitar through my evans, just electric archtops but they are worth every penny.

You should give it a try....even a bigtone sounds great through them. You loose some of the high end sparkle because there's no tweeter, but for some reason you just don't miss it because the overall sound is so warm and satisfying.

'm
  • bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!
    M and all,
    great amps, great value, and great people. I'd love to own a smallish one for NYC gigs, and a batt powered one for subways (which they don't make). I went to the factory once in college, and didn't have the budget to get one; now I wish i had!
    B.
  • chip3174chip3174 New
    Just curious, how much is a Bigtone and how much does it costs to install it? I have a D-500 currently.

Chip

P.S.: If you're ever back in the GSO area, you are welcome to come to Elon U. , we'll host you for concert/lecture.
    chip3174 wrote:
    Just curious, how much is a Bigtone and how much does it costs to install it? I have a D-500 currently.

All the bigtones are here:

https://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/ca ... ickup.html

There's no way we could install one for you unless you mailed your guitar all the way out here or you bought a new guitar from us.

Thanks for the offer....nut sure when I'll be back in NC again.

'm