DjangoBooks.com

Dupont Nomade

Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
Just because it's not often to see a nomade around here, and also because they're cheap(er), I wanted to let you know of one on Jacques's website :
http://gypsyguitars.com/inventory.php

They seem to have good reviews in France... I don't what you guys think about them ?
- JG

Comments

• Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    I played one at Jacques a couple years ago. I liked it.

Craig
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    This is interesting.
    Aside from this particular model, What would be the effect of a bolt on neck on the sound/playability of a gypsy guitar??

I'd also like to know opinions from those of you who have played a Nomade.

Maybe these guitars are the reason Gitanes are not as common in France?
    edited June 2008 Posts: 1,379
    Well I took the plunge and bought that guitar and here are my impressions.

First let me say I got the Nomade as an affordable gigging and traveling guitar, a back up for my other guitar, a Dupont MDC 60, that was better the the asian imports. For that purpose this guitar is perfect.

I had Jacques install a Big Tone/Dupont bridge.
    I only had the Nomade for a couple of days so my perception of it might change overtime.
    This is Maurice Dupont's budget model and it's handmade in his shop in Cognac France.

Price:$1200 used

Features: 14 fret Oval hole, satin finish, laminated mahogany back and sides, french spruce top, bolt on mahogany neck, rosewood fingerboard, chrome hardware, and hard gig bag.

Finish: Pretty good. The guitar was used but it's in great condition. It has a satin finish and overall it looks fine, more rustic than the average which gives it a nice vibe, doesn't have the fancy appointments but that's not important to me, in guitars I look for sound, not looks.

Playability: It's 3.5mm for the low E with a #2 bridge, just how I like it and plays smoothly with no buzz, the neck is just the standard Dupont profile and feels great, frets are just like the ones on my 60. There's no zero fret but haven't missed it.

Sound: Really good! Bright with good cutting power, typical tone for the genre with just enough bass for rhythm. Much better than the Gitanes I've played.

Compared to my 60 the Nomade has less highs more bass and middle and the more "compressed" tone characteristic of the oval holes, it's also a little bit less dry
    My 60 cuts a lot better and so is much better for lead playing but this one is good too.

I was worried about the neck being bolted instead of glued but I really can't notice a real difference in sound that could be attributed to that.

I used to own a Gitane DG 250 and this Nomade beats the hell out of that guitar in terms of tone and feel, Maurice compromises in the cosmetics but the sound is full on. He said in an interview that the problem with imported Selmer type guitars is that they are built with no awareness of the sound expected from them, and no knowledge of the particular attack they are usually played with. In my experience I've found his statement to be true.

So all in all I'm very happy with it. I was nervous about the bolt on neck and I admit it looks kinda weird, cheesy even but the sound it's there... my MDC 60 it's a lot better in every way but costs around three times as much and I handpicked it from a bunch of other Duponts.

If you're looking for an affordable handmade guitar with a good gypsy tone a Nomade is a great option, especially if you can find a used one and pay less than the new price. As far as I know for handmade guitars in this price range there's only Pattenotes or a Nomade.
    If you want a high end "deluxe" guitar, save your money and look elsewhere.

Lastly let me say that Jacques Mazzoleni is a really nice guy and it was a pleasure to do business with, he even wrote to Mrs. Dupont to ask her for the paper label that was missing, she tracked the guitar and sent a label in a matter of days.
    This is a follow up in case anyone's interested:

I'm still very happy with my Nomade but reading back on my previous post i see some things have changed on my perception of it.

The finish is really good and very, very thin. You can actually feel the grain of the wood of the top by running your fingers on it.
    The neck is great, very comfortable, and the absence of the heel makes playing on the highest frets easier.
    I still can't find anything negative in terms of sound due to the bolt on neck and open and closed notes sound even despite the lack of a zero fret.

Contrary to my initial assessment this guitar doesn't have much low end, the bass notes sound fine but the sound doesn't have much meat to it, that's cool for me though.

This guitar is bright but seems to have a lot of mids and mid-highs, rather than the extreme highs my MDC60 has.
    The tone is on the dry side but with a kind of "good" reverb that doesn't get in the way.
    I compared this Nomade with two Gitanes D500 and a Dg250. The gitanes sound very, very boomy and wet.

The Nomade is not a cannon but still loud enough to jam at festivals and has a very good tone that instantly makes you think of Gypsy jazz, with strong fundamentals and fast response. It does have a Big Tone so that might be affecting the volume somewhat, anyway it's fine.

The setup wasn't really that good and I had to remove paper shims from the base of the heel (talk about tone suckers!) and lower the bridge considerably. It's now 2.5 with argies 11 and plays great and sounds much better, though i'm gonna do a full fret level as soon as i get the chance.

The soft case/hard gig bag is great, a real plus, protects the guitar very well and is really light and easy to carry

You'd probably be happier waiting and saving a little more for the MD100 if you're going for your number one guitar, but for a second "combat" guitar the Nomade fits the bill pretty good.
  • loumt123loumt123 New
    How much does the MD100 run for? How do you think the nomade would compare to a dell arte minor swing (both are about the same price). Just curious because when I purchase I think it will be in the price range of the minor swing unless a Dupont for a few hundred more is significantly better
    The MD100 is about $2400.
    Here's and MDC 100 (14 fret D-hole)
    http://www.gypsyguitars.com/makers.php?id=11&status_id=

You probably already seen it... I'm partial to 14 fret d-holes, they are really powerful and seem to be more consistent from one guitar to the next.
    If you definitely want an oval hole you can just ask Jacques Mazzoleni to order one for you next time he gets a Dupont batch (which is probably gonna be soon) just remember to tell him to put it "On hold" for you, the same if you want that MDC... they can go really fast!
    He usually pays shipping within the US and throws in some strings and picks, he also offers a short approval period so you can make sure you like the guitar. To me that's a great deal.

I have never played a Dell Arte minor swing, but I would personally save a little more and go for the MD100. If I wanted a Dell Arte I would go for the Hommage which is Favino style, for a Selmer sound the Dupont is probably best.

The MD100 is a full-on Dupont guitar, you get ALL the tone, the "real" case, two bridges, the standard gold hardware, handmade in Maurice's shop in France... is just a little plainer cosmetically speaking but to me Mahogany looks great and the satin finish is really nice as well, and hey man... It's a Dupont!! I think you'd love it.

Incidentally as a "fun fact" Thomas Dutronc plays an MD100 on the Bireli Lagrene & friends Jazz a Vienne DVD and he owns a real Selmer.

Good luck and don't forget to tell us what happens in the end!
  • loumt123loumt123 New
    thanks that was really helpful. do the make the md100 in an oval hole?

I'll keep you updated. I can't afford it yet but I'm an afficianado of bang for your buck guitars (I own an eastman :wink: ) so I'd rather make sure I save for something I'm going to love but won't put me down and out rather than go and get a lower end guitar
    Sure they make it in oval hole.
    MDs are 14 fret oval holes, MCs 12 fret D-holes and MDC are hybrids, 14 fret D-holes, all are available as a 100 (Laminated mahogany, mahogany neck, satin finish)

Acoustic guitars vary from one to the next, true about any brand or luthier.
    That 48hr. approval period is a good deal in that respect.

Buying sight-unseen is a bet, but generally speaking a Dupont will make you happy, and you probably won't need to ever trade up.
    edited June 2009 Posts: 1,379
    I took my Nomade to Samois this year and it proved to be a really good guitar, definitely better than Gitanes or Manouches, the last of which i finally had a chance to try and was completely disappointed and wouldn't trade my Nomade for in a million years. Fair comparison since they cost the same.

It took the changes in temperature and humidity like a champion and served me really well for all the jamming at the camping site with good volume and tone and great playability.
    It was played by a lot of people there,which gave it a nice mojo.
    They all commented on how good it was and were surprised at how inexpensive it is compared to the regular luthier instruments.
    If you're thinking of upgrading from a Gitane but you're not ready yet to shell out $3500, a Nomade might be your best bet, you just have to get over the initial shock of seeing those two bolts looking at you from the back of the guitar.
  • knappelliknappelli MunichNew
    I also own a Dupont Nomade. It's an excellent guitar, top playability, lots of volume and it has that nice "Gypsy-tone". I think it is sort of cool of Maurice to offer a low-budget Selmer style guitar.