DjangoBooks.com

Angelo Debarre - Montagne Ste-Genevieve Rhythm

pdaiglepdaigle Montreal, QCNew
edited November 2007 in Repertoire Posts: 233
During a masterclass a few years back, Angelo taught us the following as a way to make the accompaniment of Montagne Ste-Genevieve more interesting. The example includes only the A section.

He creates an interesting bass line around the simple chords and does a cool chromatic walking bass line with chords near the end.

Check it out!

Comments

• Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    Thanks pdaigle,
    That's really neat, the last 8 bars give a very interesting ending you're right !
    With the B7, I also tend to alternate the bass by adding a low F#, which changes it as a F#dim.
    It seems that the younger generation like Angelo Debarre, Sanseverino or I think even if you listen to the Cosiminis', tends to add a "brushed" upstroke a tiny bit before the first beat, giving it some sort of a more jumpy rhythm...
    - JG
  • pdaiglepdaigle Montreal, QCNew
    Thanks for the comments Joli Gadjo.

I do hear the brushed upstroke in many recordings but it is pretty hard to do when accenting the bass on the first beat as in the example above.

I have tons of material from master classes (Angelo, Kassimo, Andreas, Ritary) that I started cleaning through and inputing in Powertab format so stay tuned for more!
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Hi guys,

This is a great way to approach any waltz...Cosimini has some different but equally interesting approaches in his chord books, and for Montagne in particular you can also adapt this version of Indifference pretty easily (taken I think from a Matelot/J.Privat version). Fun stuff!

best,
    Jack.