DjangoBooks.com

A weird combination to record and play by yourself

naguiynaguiy New
edited November 2007 in Recording Posts: 20
I have been playing the guitar for several years and have switched recently from electric to Selmer-style. I play by myself and am getting frustrated to not have a second rhythm guitar to play with. I then had an idea and wanted to know if anybody thinks it should work or miserably fail: I found the following Boss RC 2 Loop Station:
http://www.bossus.com/index.asp?pg=1&tmp=158
I was thinking that I could use the pickup from my gypsy jazz guitar, record a rhythm part and then pay/improvise/practice over it. It is way easier and cheaper than a multi-track recorder. It is not confusing and I do not see why it should not work.
Is this the best alternative, or I should go for a Zoom H2??

Please let me know if it is viable, I would really appreciate as I am not familiar at all with any recording technique, especially when it comes to gypsy jazz guitar..Thanks.

Comments

The Boss RC2 is a cool little unit, but you've gotta add the extra switching pedal to get full use of it. The RC20XL is really the way to go ... I've had one for a while and it's a blast. I don't use it as much as I did when I first got it, but it's pretty simple to lay down a rhythm track, loop, and go crazy. I used to use it at gigs, but I haven't done so in a while. To be honest, looping gets old kinda quick imo.

Of course, there are already a couple of online sites that have free backing tracks (usually in mp3 form) and someone recently posted some files for Band In A Box, which is a versatile program that many jazzers use to hone their chops.

While I don't have the Zoom H2, I do have the H4 and it's easily the best gear purchase I've made in the past ten years. Pretty easy to use, even for a recording noob like me.

Here's a track I made with the H4 ...
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=5706202

For more info, here's a thread I started a while ago about recording this track ...
    viewtopic.php?t=3669

If I could only have the Boss or the Zoom, I'd go with the Zoom. Recording is a wonderful experience, and it can lead to better chops, musicianship, songwriting ... and gigs!
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Until you decide what to get, you always have the option of playing along with one of the hottest GJ guitarists out there...

Stephane Wrembel put up some of the best backing tracks I've heard. You can find them here.

http://www.stephanewrembel.com/rhythmtracks.html

Stephane is a good guy - if you want to return the mojo, you might get his album 'Barbes Brooklyn' - it's definitely worth the price of admission.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.