DjangoBooks.com

About contacting Paul Mehling for private lessons

naguiynaguiy New
edited January 2010 in Technique Posts: 20
Hi,
I read in a post that Paul Mehling teaches in the Bay Area. I live in San Francisco and have a few questions for those who already took some private lessons with him:
1) Does anyone knows his address (city, if possible complete address)? I ask because I do not have a car and thus would prefer to stay within the BART network
2) I heard that he charges $75 per hour which seems reasonable for such a good teacher. Is it still the same rate?
3) What is the format of the lesson? Mainly theory or licks or jam??? I have been playing the guitar for about 10years but am new to Gypsy jazz
4) Eventually if I make up my mind to take lessons with him, does anybody his email address?

Thanks a lot

Comments

• V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
    "Paul Mehling" <[email protected]>
    I'm sure he can answer all your questions directly.
  • MikeMike Minnesota✭✭
    I took a lesson with Paul once. It was one of the best lessons I ever had, not just for guitar and gypsy jazz, but for musicianship. It was an hour lesson, ran about 1.5 hours and covered everything.
    naguiy wrote:
    Hi,
    I read in a post that Paul Mehling teaches in the Bay Area. I live in San Francisco and have a few questions for those who already took some private lessons with him:
    1) Does anyone knows his address (city, if possible complete address)? I ask because I do not have a car and thus would prefer to stay within the BART network
    2) I heard that he charges $75 per hour which seems reasonable for such a good teacher. Is it still the same rate?
    3) What is the format of the lesson? Mainly theory or licks or jam??? I have been playing the guitar for about 10years but am new to Gypsy jazz
    4) Eventually if I make up my mind to take lessons with him, does anybody his email address?

Thanks a lot
    Mike, Minneapolis, Minnesota
  • FopaFopa San FranciscoNew
    It's not uncommon for Paul's lessons to run overtime. It usualy takes me a couple of months to absorb one of lessons.....he can cover alot of ground in 1-2 hours.
    -fopa
  • Paul MehlingPaul Mehling sf CA✭✭✭
    Hello,

Pazzo (Paul Mehling) here:
    In answer to Naguiy's questions:
    1) I live in Oakland, I'm in the SF phone book under HOT CLUB of SAN FRANCISCO
    I live right NEAR Fruitvale BART. Many students come by BART and I happily pick them up and take them back after the lesson. Green is good.
    2) I charge $70 for lessons, or less if you're a full-time student.
    3) I teach a holistic/comprehensive lesson plan tailor made for each student. If you're challenged with rhythm we start with that (most people need to start with this, though many don't know it).
    If you're phobic of theory I have teaching alternatives to get you familiar with the info in a manner that won't freak you out.
    I concentrate on all aspects of a students needs- (holistic) from technique to style, rhythm and musicianship, repetoire and jamming preparations (so you can find others to play with sooner than later). I do not teach licks, this is useless. I can help you to hear the chords and learn to do your own chord charts. I can teach you how to make your own play-along recordings (so you don't have to buy someone elses', saving you big $$$). I can teach you how to shorten your learning process and speed your improvement time. I can teach you how to practice and how to get beyond the inevitable plateaus that we all hit. I can even help you psyche yourself out of your resistances to practice/metronomes/scales/etc. --- whatever it is that is keeping you from being the guitarist you think you can be, I can help you with those resistances.
    Many of my students begin by working through one of my instructional DVDs and then coming to me with questions, though this is not necessary for all students.
    Most of my students come every 6-8 weeks, I give you a TON of stuff to work on (a lesson is usually 90 minutes or so) and most students dont' get through all the material before they come back, which is fine.
    I also spend a bit of time jamming with students to determine areas in need of improvement, etc.
    Sammo Miltich & Doug Martin are just two of my best students (so far) -they'll tell you about my teaching ...
    415.931.0909 or <!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->
    I'm here for you!

P