DjangoBooks.com

First gypsy guitar?.

RoyRoy DenmarkNew
edited October 2007 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 6
Now that I´ve started playing this style I´ve been considering getting my hand on a gypsy guitar. I´ve been playing my wee 12 fret mahogany martin which actually sounds quite nice for rhythm. It obviously doesn´t have a gypsy sound and it suffers a bit with a real heavy pick.
I´m unsure if its money well spent on a guitar like the manouche, or if I should start on something a wee bit more humble like a gitane. It´s unfortunate that I don´t have the opportunity to try these guitars. I did try a gitane 250-M a few months ago which didn´t impress me too much. Probably poor technique of course.
What´s the general consensus?. Do I hack away on the Martin until I have an opportunity to get over to England and play a few guitars or do I lose my inhibitions and order a guitar online. I am of course, as a Scotsman very wary of spending around 1000 pounds without being sure I´ll be 100 % satisfied.
All the best from a poor bewildered Scot.
Roy.

Comments

• BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    If at all posible it'd be best to try the guitar in person.
    Guitars, even factory made ones, can vary a lot from one to the next.
    Gitanes are cool for the price.
  • HCPhillyHCPhilly Phila. PA✭✭✭✭
    I'd say get a Manouche, hands down. I was so impressed with a guitar that a student of mine had that I immediately contacted
    the company to help them with marketing in the USA,
    [I want to be totally up-front here]. The Manouche guitars are better all 'round compared to the Gitanes. The Manouche guitars are mostly hand made in small batches. the sound, hardware are far better than the Gitanes. Manouche, BTW, will not do paid endorsements. most of the sales of the guitars are from player's reviews. I have friends who are endorsing Saga Gitanes, [and good for them], but I'm telling you, you really should check out the Manouche guitars.
    Barry
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    I'm pretty sure mine was the guitar that Barry played. I have a Manouche D-hole and an oval hole. I think they are great guitars and you can pick one up used for $1200 or not much more. The Gitanes are cheaper and great guitars for the money, but if you are like me, you will not be satisfied with them over the long haul. If you are looking for a solution under $1000, then a Gitane is the way to go. But if you have a little more, a Manouche will hold you until you are good enough to really discern the subtleties of the many fine hand-made guitars available these days. If you have more than $2000, then you are up where you can afford a used luthier-built guitar and wiser heads than mine will have to guide you.

I haven't met anyone yet who owns a Manouche that doesn't like them. Even my Martin and Gibson playing friends that have tried my Manouches comment on what nice guitars they are. They weren't so positive about my Jorgenson and my D-500.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • asd123321asd123321 ✭✭✭✭
    If you don't want to gamble much, why not try the cigano gj-10?
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    Dave- did you get a Cigano? If so how do you like it. Hit me up some time we should get together and play some tunes.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • HCPhillyHCPhilly Phila. PA✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure mine was the guitar that Barry played. I have a Manouche D-hole and an oval hole.

Yes Mike it was your guitar. BTW, you are overdue for a lesson :)

BTW, we'll be starting a schedule at Remrandt's near the Art Museum in Philly, and we'll be booking again at the Mermaid Inn. I'll post gigs at www.hotclubphilly.com
    We usually have some folks sit in, so there's your incentive.
    Give me a call, I lost my cellphone [and numbers].
    I have some students who are looking for people to jam and
    gig with.
    Barr
  • asd123321asd123321 ✭✭✭✭
    Caleb, I'll probably order a Cigano after a while. I still would like to hear your Dell'Arte. I thought you were leaving for graduate studies.
    Dave
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Hey Cale, if you're trying to decide where to go, you should come up here and go to UMass! Lex Olsen just started there, and there's a bunch of players around these days...we could turn the burg into gypsy jazz central!
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    Dave- Yeah thats still the plan I have somethings to finnish up with FSU and I have to take the GRE's and get into a school. So it is happening soon just not imediatley. I think We (JAva MAnouche) are playing a gig on Nov 29 at the Club downunder at FSU (I'll give you more details as I get them) You can hear it then for sure.
    Jack- I haven't looked at UMass but I will. It is in Amherst right is that near you? I would like to go to a school that is near some sort of scene, but thqat would be icing on the cake really I just want to get in somwhere that wsill give me money lol.
    -Cale
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    CalebFSU wrote:
    Jack- I haven't looked at UMass but I will. It is in Amherst right is that near you? I would like to go to a school that is near some sort of scene, but thqat would be icing on the cake really I just want to get in somwhere that wsill give me money lol.
    -Cale

Yeah, UMass Amherst is about a 15 minute drive from me. Good jazz program from what I hear, Archie Schepp was teaching there last I knew. Pretty sure they gave Lex some bucks, too! I think it's a lot cheaper once you establish MA residency but I'm not sure...

best,
    Jack.