DjangoBooks.com

Moonglow transcription

gypsyjazzergypsyjazzer Brewood, United KingdomNew
edited July 2010 in Repertoire Posts: 67
Hi,

Does anyone know of a transcription (standard notation and/or tab) of Django's great solo on "Moonglow" recorded on the 21st October 1934? It's listed as track 15 on Vol 4 of the Integrale Django Reinhardt series by Fremeaux & Associes.

I've always liked this tune, and Django's solo is so tasteful - added to which, apart from a few glissando runs and lightening fast arpeggios, it sounds like it might just be playable for us mere mortals.

On another, but related topic, has anyone experience of the "Slowgold" (slowgold.com) software for slowing down music tracks?

Stuart

Comments

• La GitaneLa Gitane Llanelli, UK✭✭✭
    Hi Stuart

I love "Moonglow" too...beautiful melody and beautifully embellished by Django...

I was starting to work on a transcription of it, and came across your posting 5 years late !...

Did you ever manage to find a transcription/transcribe it yourself?

If not, and you're still interested in this piece, I'd be happy to share what I've managed to do so far.
    Maybe we can get it done between us and post to the forum for everyone to download?

Drop me a PM if you're interested.

Best wishes

Dave
    Swansea, UK
    Hi Folks

I noticed Stuart's request on the forum for a transcription of "Moonglow".

It's a beautiful solo, but a transcription of it doesn't seem to be available anywhere else, so I've been working on it sporadically for the last couple of months.

Unfortunately other commitments keep eating into my time, and I am not a professional musician, so I don't think I'm going to be able to complete what is still very much a "work in progress" (in particular, I'm really struggling to transcribe the rhythm in bars 30-31); but I figured if I posted what I'd done so far, it might inspire the more talented members of the forum to pitch in and add the necessary finishing touches.

The transcription is in GuitarPro v5 format (.gp5), but I've also saved the score in Acrobat (.pdf) format for those that don't have access to GuitarPro.

The forum filters don't seem to like uploading files with the extension ".gp5", so I've put both files into a folder and saved them as a ".zip" file (open this by downloading the appropriate freeware "Unzip" utility (e.g. WinZip, 7Zip, IZArc; freely available from the net).

Please feel free to edit the .gp5 file and re-post it, and together we might be able to finish it through a group effort.

Thanks in anticipation & hope to see you at Samois next week!

Best wishes

Dave
    P.S. If the Adobe Acrobat file comes out garbled, it is probably because you need to update your Adobe Acrobat reader to version 7.0 or more recent (available as free download from the net).

Cheers

Dave