DjangoBooks.com

Django's action

Hi I was curious as to what Django's action was on his guitar. His use of shims might indicate that he stepped up the action to medium-high (3-4mm), but I was reading a post and Josh mentioned that it seemed that Django had pretty low-medium action (2.5-3mm). Django's tone sounds a bit low compared to high action guitar players such as Tchavolo who has a sharp punch low sustain tone.

What do you guys think?

Thanks
-Daniel

Comments

• Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    Whhhoho.... Okay... I do think that... but I have no proof at all. Just some of the recordings I can hear what sounds to me like lower (lower then 3.5 mm) action. But that does not mean it's a fact.

My gut feeling is that he played with about 2.5 - 2.8mm action. Thus the shim when the seasons changed. It just sounds lower then 3mm. But again... I have no proof of this at all and could be WAY off.

Cheers,
    Josh
  • django'spooltalentdjango'spooltalent ✭✭✭✭
    Hey Josh,

Ha sorry, I didn't mean to put you in the spotlight and make it seem like you made a claim. In addition, I was curious as to what is the history of gypsy players having pretty high action, was because some of the gypsies use cheap guitars and raise the action to improve the tone and playability without refretting etc...

It does seem that Django has low to medium 2.5-3.5 action going.

Thanks Josh,

-Daniel