DjangoBooks.com

Lulo Reinhardt????

CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
edited May 2007 in History Posts: 557
Alright guys here is one I have been wondering about. Where is Lulo Reinhardt (of the Lulo Reinhardt gitane model) from??? who has he been playing with? What is his history. I thought I had heard of him but then a few months (probably more) ago I saw a picture of the cat on his Myspace page and it was not who I thought it was at all. I don't profess to be a real historian on this music Nothing like Ted G or Scot, but I thought after the few years I have been into this music I had heard of most guys (besides real marginal cats in europe playing in Sinti comunities and not recording) I mean I don't know their names; I mean it is good to know I still have a lot to learn I guess, but anyways anybody have any information on this cat? Is he from the German school of players? Did he play rhythm on Mike Reinhardt's Happy bird album? is he Lulu Reinhardts son?(ok those last few were silly but you cats get the point. )
P.S. I realize the cat probably has a website but I am trying to foster a little discussion around here. New Job gives me time to read the boards a whole lot more often.
Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.

Comments

• gitpickergitpicker Beijing/San Francisco✭✭✭✭ Gibson, Favino, Eastman
    Hi there, well I can tell you a little bit that I know about Lulo, which still isn't a whole heck of a lot. He is from the German school of players along with his cousin Mike Reinhardt, Sascha, Apard, Diego, Django (yes they have a cousin [I think] who's name is also Django Reinhardt, and many other Reinhardts who are in Germany and surrounding areas I assume. Lulo is based in Koblenz. Lulo himself says he is more of a rhythm player. Having known him a short while I can tell you he's a truly fantastic rhythm player at that. He also plays quite a lot of Flamenco. I understand he's spent some time in Spain though I don't know too many details. He has an incredible right hand not only for the gypsy jazz but for the flamenco as well. To me he is not a machine gun trillion notes a measure kind of player, and I like that. He composes A LOT too. His two CDs out right now aren't gypsy jazz at all really but more contemporary jazz and flamenco-ish and are almost completely all his original compositions. His third CD, which he's working on right now I think, I believe is going to be in the "gypsy jazz" style and I think will also be mostly original music. I think that's way cool. It seems like so many players, even the top guys are still recording mostly the same old songs. Anyway, I digress, I don't know the exact lineage track but he's the grand nephew of Django. Lot's of guys in that area are from the lineage. He's got a website: http://www.lulo-reinhardt-project.de/
    Also there's a festival in July he's playing at, as are many other of the Reinhardts. You can find more info on him and others here: http://www.djangoserben.com/index.html

He's also one of the nicest guys I have EVER met. He loves to talk and make friends with anybody and he's a truly great player yet super humble. If you meet him, you'll feel the same way after talking with him for 5 minutes.

Hope that helps. :D
    Doug
    www.dougmartinguitar.com
    Live life and play music like it's your last day on earth. One day you'll be right- Russel Malone