DjangoBooks.com

Nature Boy

edited June 2007 in Repertoire Posts: 597
I read on another jazz site that Nature Boy was one of the last sessions for Django & Grappelli. Is this true? Was it recorded during the last session, or is it the last recording the two made together?

I think it appears on the JSP set "Django in Rome." Another other recordings by them or other GJ?

Two of my fake books have the song charted differently. In the New Real Book (Sher), the tune is in Dm and in 4/4. In the Real Book (Hal Leonard), it's in Em and in 3/4! I know the tune can also be played rubato ...

How do GJ players approach the tune?

Comments

• Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    I read on another jazz site that Nature Boy was one of the last sessions for Django & Grappelli. Is this true? Was it recorded during the last session, or is it the last recording the two made together?
    It was recorded in one of their last sessions together in Rome but not the actual final session. Django only recorded it once as he did many other tunes at those January/February, 1949 Rome sessions. Several other gypsy jazz players have also recorded it including a very nice version by Fapy Lafertin.
    Thanks, Teddy! Any idea about the key or time signature on the Django or Fapy?

I couldn't find any GJ youtube vids. If anyone has any versions that could be posted ... 8)
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    Thanks, Teddy! Any idea about the key or time signature on the Django or Fapy?
    Both Em and straight 4.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    Cool, Dennis. I really dug the acoustic guitar part! Was that Gambale?
  • sockeyesockeye Philadelphie sur SchuylkillNew
    "Nature Boy" was written by Eden Ahbez about his friend Robert "Gypsy Boots" Bootzin -- these guys were proto-hippies, with long hair, bare feet, beads and bean sprouts. In the 1940s. Like a couple of West Coast Moondogs.

Somehow "Nature Boy" got the attention of Nat "King" Cole and the rest is history.

natureboy.jpg
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
  • fretburnerfretburner Victoria BC CanadaNew
    Dennis' version rules and I listen to it almost daily.

Especially love the 2nd lead. Was hoping Dennis' new DVD might touch on this song a bit but I knew it was wishful thinking! Still a GREAT DVD btw Dennis! Id love to see a trasncription one day of that 2nd solo though, I just love it. (-Mike in Victoria :wink: )

HOWEVER! If anyone can help me with a solo transcription of the version of Nature Boy on the Connie Evingson - Gypsy In My Soul album Id be eternally grateful!

I have the chords down pat for the most part.

Pearl Django (or someone from ..) do some of the music on the album, but not every song and the liner notes I have dont list who does what on which songs.
  • JanJan Bremen, GermanyNew
    Since I had it lying around I thought I might as well add it in case anyone is interested.

It's the chords I use when playing Nature Boy as a duet. I tend to use a slight latin swing to it (a bit like the Rosenberg/Lagrene version) and swap between fingerpicking or using a pick (as in the JR/BR version - If I remember Bireli fingerpicks and Jimmy strums the accompaniment).
    Thanks for the chart, Jan. I've played it in both Dm (if I want to sing it) and in Em.

When I play it in Dm, I use drop-D tuning (DADGBE). It really resonates nicely that way. IMO the low-D as a drone can work well with most of the chords.