DjangoBooks.com

Djangofest on Tour - Portland Thursday, March 15th

MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
edited March 2007 in North America Posts: 6,153
The late gypsy (Roma) guitarist Django Reinhardt inspired several generations of musicians around the world over the past 80 years. His guitar-based swing music was the rage of Europe in the 1930’s and featured the fiery interplay between Reinhardt and his longtime compatriot and friend, violinist Stephane Grappelli. Together as Quintet of the Hot Club of France (comprised of violin, three acoustic guitars and bass) during 1933-39 they produced a sensational series of recordings and performances.

The 2007 DjangoFest on Tour pays homage to the music of Django Reinhardt and features the incredible gypsy-jazz guitarist from France, Stephane Wrembel and his trio. Wrembel has been called “…an astonishing talent” by All About Jazz and “… one of the greatest guitarists in the world” by Relix Magazine. The fiery music and the melancholy gypsy songs of Eastern Europe, paired with pure jazz, purer joie de vivre and lots of inspiration, give rise to the irresistible and unmistakable sound of the Stephane Wrembel Trio.

Also appearing at the 2007 DjangoFest on Tour is Swedish guitarist Andreas Öberg. During recent years Andreas Öberg has been working with his own projects as well as performing with artists in many different styles such as Les Paul, Jimmy Rosenberg, Putte Wickman, Bucky Pizzarelli, Ulf Wakenius, Joey DeFransesco, Mark Murphy, Stochelo Rosenberg, Angelo Debarre, Marian Petrescu, Dorado Schmitt, Ken Peplowski and Florin Nicolescu just to name a few.

"Kruno" Spisic is also a featured musician at the 2007 DjangoFest on Tour and began his musical training at the age of 10. His first instrument was of Eastern European decent called the Tambura, a four tone mandolin from modern day Croatia. Growing up in a Croatian household, he was exposed to many forms of Tambura music from the Balkans and its Gypsies. He creates a new branch of gypsy jazz by fusing Eastern European folk traditions with Django swing. This new merging of sounds enthralled audiences with its sweet Balkan melodies and hot Gypsy swing. Kruno has performed at folk festivals and jazz clubs all over the United States, Canada, Europe and Japan, bringing his unique blend of swing and folk themes to exhilarated audiences.

Comments

• Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    It looks like they spelled Stephane's last name wrong on the poster! Good thing he's not the tempermental artist type.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • astocekastocek Portland, ORNew
    Hi Michael,
    I'm a little confused, the poster states the concert is on the 15th and your heading says the 9th. It's on the 15th though, right?

Thanks,
    Aaron
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Yeah...they spelled Stephane's name incorrectly. I just fixed the date...sorry.
  • PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    Michael...it's on THURSDAY March 15th and not Friday...thanks!
    Cheers Phil
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    I'm crushed. I get to Portland exactly one week later. :(

I have heard all of them live, and I think it will be quite a show. Three amazing guitarists.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
    Just a heads up to the Portland crew...I'll be at the show with a load of books, CDs, etc.

Should be a blast...always looking for an excuse to head down that way!

'm
  • astocekastocek Portland, ORNew
    Just a heads up to the Portland crew...I'll be at the show with a load of books, CDs, etc.
    'm
    Hey Michael,
    Sorry to ask this question which you've heard a thousand times already... but any chance you'll have Gypsy Rhythm with you, hot off the press?

Thanks,
    Aaron
    Hi Aaron...we're in the printing process right now. We'll start taking pre-orders in a few days and ship in about a month.

thanks!

'm
    It's looking like I'm too swamped this week to make it down for the Portland show. Sorry about the false alarm....I really want to get down there but there's too much do around here with the new book and all.

Next time!

'm