DjangoBooks.com

Rosenberg Trio-New Morning concert

billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E
edited January 2007 in Welcome Posts: 1,302
Hey everyone. Long time lurker, infrequent poster.

I just moved and in unpacking my stuff, I found a CD that a friend gave to me several years ago mixed in with some computer stuff. It comes from when I first started to get into this style.

Anyway, it is called New Morning, France-The Rosenberg Trio. I wrote to him to ask more about it but he said he got the files off a newsgroup. Can anyone tell me more about the background of this performance? Who is playing with them? When was it recorded, etc? The guitar sounds like a hollow body electric and the playing didn't sound like Stochelo on one of the songs. Was there a guest with them?

Also, anyone have a track list? The tracks I can identify of the 13 are below:
1. (a standard that I can't place)
2.Nuages
3.Daphne
4.(another standard I should know but can't place)
5.(something fast with octaves)
6.Heavy Artillery
7.For Sephora
9.(a samba/bossa feel)
10.Blues For Ike
11.Minor Swing
13.(head starts a bit like Shine but isn't)

Thanks for any info anyone can provide! I've tried to look at the video that Michael has posted in the archive but it won't show up on my Mac for some reason. :-{

Cheers, Bill
P.S. anyone know any GJ'ers in the Istanbul area??

Comments

• V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
    I have it too. Some of the tracks were named incorrectly, so I can't confirm that 8 and 9 are correct since I am not familiar with the songs.

1. Vipers Dream
    4. Oriental Shuffle
    5. Old Man River
    8. Caravan (can not confirm, definitely not the Ellington song)
    9. Moonflower (can not confirm)
    12. What is this thing called love
    13. China Boy

Edit: oh and the guest lead guitarist is Mozes Rosenberg, Stochelo's young brother, probably in his early 20s during this gig.

I just remembered that the entire video of this performance is at google video: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... nberg+trio
    You'll probably find all your other answers there!
  • SorefSoref Brookline, MA✭✭✭✭
    The track marked Caravan is one Stochelo's originals; I'm pretty sure it's called Pepito. In my copy, the second half of the track is Ellington and Tizol's tune Caravan.

The name of track 9 is correct. Stochelo introduces the tune as Moonflower before they start playing it.

Thanks for the video link, that's really cool.
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E
    Yes, thanks indeed for the link. I let it load and just came back to it. He indeed comes out of the song and says "Caravan" a very well known song from Duke Ellington. Soref, interesting observation about it being 2 tracks. I've never heard Pepito so I don't know how that one goes.

And as Soref said, he introduces track 9 as a song by Carlos Santana entitled Moonflower. I looked it up and it is on an album entitled Moonflower but the track there is called Flor D'Luna (Moonflower) ....that is, both the Spanish name and the parenthetical translation. I listened to it...that is the song alright.

I still agree with VDub that Caravan is a far cry from Duke Ellington though.

***EDIT***Okay, just listened a little more and watched the video. Sure enough, Caravan is easily recognizable but on the CD, Track 8 is 8 minutes long and is actually 2 tracks...don't know why it wasn't tracked accordingly. We'll call track 8.5 Caravan. Pepito was on the RT Suenos Gitanos album as track 5...track 1 is moonflower. If this was recorderd around the same time as they were promoting the album, the song selection would make sense.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    the rosenberg trio's setlist hasn't changed much in the last few years, so they play a lot of the same songs.... New Morning is in Paris France... this was in 2003... Mozes was 18 or so around that time, a real killer!