DjangoBooks.com

"I'll see you...Dreams" observations

stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
edited February 2009 in Technique Posts: 386
OK-i've more or less got this licked----but the tempo is shocking isn't it?
I worked it out by ear first--then double checked against Dennis'(hard work....... well done mate) and Visvaders'(masterpiece) transcriptions

Thats an order i recommend for transcribing btw--do it yourself--then seek other sources.

It suddenly occured to me that in bars 21-24 those fingered and then open E's are all played with downstrokes by Django!--insanely fast and his wrist but have been made of rubber..:-)
Most guys i've seen(including the gypsies) play those bars alternate picking.
Anyway--those bars played correctly 'set' the tempo, as it were, for me-- just like those descending F major 7th licks at the beginning of the solo
i'm two thirds there-tempo wise.....
If you want to practice pick technique let those few bars set the 'bar'(s) in terms of tempo.

.........And just HOW did Django seemingly manage to put 'Vibrato' on every note --no matter what tempo..?:
And why don't we talk more about Django's vibrato?---in some ways its the centre of it all--TONE.
When we solve that mystery then we''ll all lose interest in him i suppose ....
Yours ..........constantly in awe! (quite a nice place to be actually)
Stu

PS---"But Hark!.....the 'woodshed' beckons over yonder hill........"

Comments

• thripthrip London, UKProdigy
    stubla wrote:
    And why don't we talk more about Django's vibrato?---in some ways its the centre of it all--TONE.

Stu, I seem to remember you dismissing me during one of your frequent right hand sermons when I pointed out that much of the subtlety and detail of this style comes from the left hand. Glad to see your coming round to my way of thinking!

Looking forward to hearing you play "I'll See You in My Dreams" :D
    And why don't we talk more about Django's vibrato?--

My good man, vibrato shows HEART - and all the technique in the world don't mean anything if your heart isn't in what you're playing.

Django just puts that extra love in every note he can, that coupled with his indescribably dead-on pickling technique is absolutely what makes him the man- and the bends, don't forget all those amazing bends...

I've been working on this one for a few years actually, I'm at about 170 - 180 bpm playing it clean, I think the recording is at 212? ALfonso and I play this is a duo, he plays the solo with me and then about 1/3 o4 1/2 way through he plays a counterpoint he came up with, when it works (i.e., when I'm not dragging the tempo, doh!) it's magical.
  • mmaslanmmaslan Santa Barbara, CANew
    his indescribably dead-on pickling technique

Anybody have that recipe?
    LOFL! I have yet to learn that I just shouldn't try to type fast after drinking coffee...
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    ya Django's vibrato is amazing, equally amazing are stochelo, jimmy and raphael fays' vibratos...
  • stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
    dennis wrote:
    ya Django's vibrato is amazing, equally amazing are stochelo, jimmy and raphael fays' vibratos...

Dennis
    All great players yes!--BUT Django has that extra human quality which is beyond words--its not like listening to a 'guitar' at all.
    Hes untouchable--but we all know that.
    Stu
  • sockeyesockeye Philadelphie sur SchuylkillNew
    When Django plays the open high E string for 2 measures or so on this song -- what is he doing there? Is it a unison double-stop on the first 2 strings? Or is he just moving his right hand toward and away from the bridge? He gets such great expression out of that one single note!

John
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    he's got a picking pattern going on the B strings.. the accented notes are on the high E string, listen to the recoridng to get a feel for it
  • sockeyesockeye Philadelphie sur SchuylkillNew
    Does anyone here have a good tab for this they'd be willing to share? I found a Powertab transcription on the 'net somewhere but wasn't sure about some of the left-hand fingerings.

I'd probably put this in my top-3 all time favorite Django solos along with the 1937 Minor Swing and 1938 Honeysuckle Rose.
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    I think this video is still the best way to demystify what Django is doing in this solo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi7sIO7cB94

Christophe is just uncanny!