DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who's Online (0)

Related Discussions

Today's Birthday

LT86

Copyright clearance in CAnada

dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
edited September 2006 in Archtop Eddy's Corner Posts: 2,129
Hi

I was wondering if anyone can help me out, my CD is just about complete but I need get the copyright clearance for the tunes. I'd appreciate any help I can get from any fellow canadians or anyone who might know a thing about this. I'm working on the artwork (it'd be cool to get ronnie coleman to pose for the cover but I don't think it'd work)

I am very happy with the CD (with the exception of my playing), lots of guests including Ritary Gaguenetti, Herve Gaguenetti, Frank Gambale, among many others (drummers, 2 female singers, one male singer, sax, violin, drums, fender rhodes, accordion, upright bass, slap/funk electric bass etc...) .

I'd ask a local friend of mine, but I don't want to bother him too much

making this cd was a total nightmare with lots of problems happenning but i'm glad it's almost over so i can concentrate on other projects like the djangobooks thing i promised michael

Cheers
D

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Hey Dennis,

Congratulations on getting this out-it's been a long road; I wasn't sure you'd be able to get it done after the robbery. Can't wait to hear it!

About Canadian copyright, you might find some of this useful, though it might take a while to wade through:

http://www.cb-cda.gc.ca/info/act-e.html
    http://www.trytel.com/~pbkerr/copyright.html
    http://www.editors.ca/resources/web_lin ... right.html

Good luck!
    Jack.
  • SorefSoref Brookline, MA✭✭✭✭
    Sounds Like a great album, I'm really excited to hear it. You've got our support in Boston. If you're looking for an advance I'd love to pre-order the album. Good luck with the copyright business.

-Jack no.2
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    hey Dennis - cool to hear about Gambale playing on your album. As you know I would not normally be very into that, :wink: but his latest acoustic album with Alain Caron is awesome. Unfortunately I was playing at the same time as them at the Rimouski Festijazz this year so I missed their show. On the plus side I did see Charlie Haden's Quartet West the night before!

BTW, what is the deal with Django song copyrights in Canada - have they expired yet? Thanks,

Nick
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    Hi thanks for the replies everyone !!

Gambale 's playing is very tasteful on my recording which is actually an RnB version of Nature Boy with Herve Gaguenetti providing a funky rhythm backed by some drums , fender rhodes and a hot sexy RnB singer, and some electric bass (with the cool slaps and whatnot). I play on a nylon string on that tune, and *gasp* (travesty!) i don't use gypsy picking!

i'll post clips when i have every single track properly mixed.. we did 17 tunes, and it was a hard time for me because for the most part i chose tunes that i almost never play (or never played) and that are uncommon in today's repertoire (tunes like made in france, oui, rosetta, ornithology, stardust and especially minor swing.... ).... and a lot of the tunes have a modern twist to it (ie having tenor sax instead of violin, and having a roumanian gypsy bebop accordionist instead of just plain ol school style accordion).

Ritary guests on two songs (Donna Lee and Some Of These Days), and Herve on three.

Anyway , my main issues with copyright clearance are the django tunes, the french tunes that don't seem to be represented by the CMRRA, and Valse De Wasso....

for the waltz I suppose I should ask Jon Larsen since it first appeared on Hot Club Records...

btw it's interesting to see that Made In France is under Bireli's real name: Pierre Lagrene (hehehe)

for the django tunes, michael dunn told me that they're public domain now, but i thought i heard about some extension on this law.... can anyone shed some light on this before I get sued?

btw, i accompanied Duane Andrews a few weeks ago, we were talking about the django scene in Nova Scotia/Newfoundland and of course, the infamous nwilkins came up in the conversation.... just for you nick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PF76cdPvyU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97LTj-_8at0

i still can't figure out how to post youtube videos here
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    nwilkins wrote:
    On the plus side I did see Charlie Haden's Quartet West the night before!

Man, I love that group...I've been listening to a lot this week, trying to turn a friend onto them. Haden's just...man!

Best,
    Jack.
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    yeah Jack it was a pretty amazing concert - they played Lonely Woman (from The Shape of Jazz to Come) which was probably the highlight :twisted:

however, that Rusty Cooley is so musical that Quartet West has paled in comparison - thanks Dennis!