DjangoBooks.com

String height on dg255

I just got my dg255 from this website, plus the quality bridge and the gypsy set up. The guitar sounds great, better than i expected. The only thing i noticed is that the strings are pritty high, 4mm the 6th string at 12 fret. Is this normal??? thanks...

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi...glad you like the guitar! Josh sets them up in the trad. Gypsy way. That means high action...that maximizes tone and volume. But some players compromise those elements for speed and ease of play.

I'd recommend sticking with the higher action for a while...you get used to it and the sound is so good...

'm
  • FernandoFernando New
    Thanks Michael, the guitar really sounds graet. I was wondering what gauge of argentines you guys put on the set up, 10 or 11's??
    Usually I'd put 10s on a guitar with high action. But I think the 11s sometimes sound better on the Sagas. You'll have to ask Josh...but I think he probably put 11s on.

Thanks!

'm
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    I set mine up very similar - and I use strings from a pack of 10's for the EADG and then go up one size each (like 11's) for the B & high E. That works best for me. The rhythm has that nice crunchy "distorts just right" sound when you step on it - but is clear otherwise - and the top two strings are clear and punchy for throwing in chord accents or heads etc. I tried this after hearing Mark Atkinson talk with Shelly Park about what he was using - so I tried it - and couldn't be happier. I use this combo on my Dell Arte, my Gitane & my Park.

Edit: I should add that you don't actually need to buy packs of 10's and 11's. Michael now stocks extras "replacement strings" which is cool. I think when I work my way through this stash of strings I'll probably just start buying bulk replacement strings of the gauges I need and do away with buying packs entirely.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • FernandoFernando New
    Thanks Bob, I'll try mixing gauges to see what i get. For now, the gitane sounds great with 10's. Today I ordered a wegen pick, i've been using a modified big stubby but I can't wait to try the wegen.
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Josh does good stuff - it'll get you going in the right direction quickly!
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Hey Michael,
    Is it possible to get the "high quality bridge" separately for my Gitane DG-250?
    Thanx
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Thank you. As soon as I save enough money I think I`ll order one.
    Exactly what are the differences between that bridge and the stock one on Gitanes?
    ask Josh: <!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->