DjangoBooks.com

question to al brass and clarinet players

clausciclausci RomaNew
edited February 2007 in Gypsy Jazz Italia Posts: 82
Hi to all,
although i study violin and have studied a bit of guitar i have no i idea in wich kind of practice are involved the clarinet and in general sax or brass players.
I recently heard of the famous "circular brathing" used by some sax players,and in a large way in some traditional music, also in italy in the sardegna area.i ve also heard that the training ,wich can be practiced for ten years around, is about blowing in a cane into the water while inspire with nose.
does the clarinet players use it ? i m pretty sure that the hungarian gypsies who play that sort of clarinet (i don t remember the name now) use this tecnic bacause of them fast and continuous playng.i post an example of the violinist ferenc santa,the "clarinet"(tell me the name of this) play continuous also under the violin.maybe is one of these strange breathing people?
is a usual type of training also in the gypsy jazz contest ? can u give me some examples of gypsy players that use it?

i hope there are some people who can satisfy my curiosity.

Thanks

Ciao
Claudio

Comments

• clausciclausci RomaNew
    here s avideo with an amazing example of multi instrumental virtuosity of Roland Kirk.
    here seems to do the circular brathing in some parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH-Gd-bu ... %20Kirk%22
    Claudio
  • emicademicad Rome - ItalyModerator
    The video has been removed...
  • Ken BloomKen Bloom Pilot Mountain, North CarolinaNew
    I think the Hungarian "clarinet" like instrument you are referring to is the tarogato, a kind of wooden soprano sax in a way. It was developed by Schunda who also developed the modern cymbalom. The tarogato is a wonderful sound and would love to hear that instrument used as a jazz instrument.
    Circular breathing is nothing new. They've been doing it in India for millenia and in other cultures for quite some time. It has only been comparatively recently that Western wind players have taken it up. I have heard Wynton Marsalis do it on the trumpet and quite a few sax players. I haven't yet heard any specifically gypsy jazz players use it. I can't recall ever hearing a tarogato player use this technique but then I've only heard a few. I'm no expert.
    Ken Bloom
  • emicademicad Rome - ItalyModerator
    I've always used circular breathing technique for my guitar playing!
    :lol: