DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who's Online (0)

Related Discussions

Today's Birthdays

morricone patapata Aaron108 calvino tubecrunch

Left hand fingerings

CynekulCynekul New
edited February 2005 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 38
How do you guys feel about left hand fingerings? From what I've seen so far it seems most GJ players use primarily 3 fingers to play solo lines. Why not use classical left hand technique which utilizes all 4 fingers though, since one is not going to use the two finger technique Django himself used anyway? Is there a reason that I'm not yet aware of yet?

~Paul V.

Comments

• CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    Paul, I say go for what you know. If you like the way you play with Four fingers "Stab- it and Steer". If I am working with a book that has fingerings notated (i.e. Gypsy Picking) I use them. The guy that wrote the instructional book obviously knows more about the style than I do. If there are no fingerings notated I go for whats comfortable. Some lines lend themselves to use of the Pinky some I just phrase better with three fingers. If I am running scales or Modes I use all four fingers. Thats just me though. Like I said go for what you know.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
    CalebFSU wrote:
    Paul, I say go for what you know. If you like the way you play with Four fingers "Stab- it and Steer". If I am working with a book that has fingerings notated (i.e. Gypsy Picking) I use them. The guy that wrote the instructional book obviously knows more about the style than I do. If there are no fingerings notated I go for whats comfortable. Some lines lend themselves to use of the Pinky some I just phrase better with three fingers. If I am running scales or Modes I use all four fingers. Thats just me though. Like I said go for what you know.

Hi
    i more or less agree but there IS a certain tonal strength you get from just the first 3 fingers--it also simplifies the fingerboard in many ways;less choices equals more Django?
    Matcho Winterstein(nee Weiss....)and Tchavolo are masters at the 3 finger approach
    Having said that Angelo Debarre and Fapy use all 4 fingers as does(the ever improving) Samson Schmitt
    I am classically trained(forgive me...) so its natural for me to use all 4 fingers
    But i've noticed recently that the 3 finger approach has meant more fluidity to my playing certainly as far as joining arpeggios together
    Stu
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    It's worth mentioning, too, that it's often a good idea to try a few fingerings-especially if you're learning a Django tune. My friend is learning Rhythm Futur, and had been using four fingers when I suggested trying two instead; suddenly, it all became much more fluid.

For many solo lines, I'm with Stu-I think a 3 finger approach just sounds smoother-try running a Gm arpeggio off the low E string all the way up the neck both ways...or that opening Em on Montagne...it just sounds right, I think.

Best,
    Jack.