DjangoBooks.com

Anyone using 10’s?

lukejazzlukejazz Natchitoches, Louisiana✭✭✭ Dunn Belleville, Dupont MD50

Does anyone know-do any of the bigger name players (recording artists and concert performers) use the lighter gauge 10’s or does everyone pretty much use 11’s?

Comments

• pdgpdg ✭✭

I've wondered that myself -- whether it's true and, if so, why? If it is true, maybe stiffer strings facilitate more right-hand control? Or maybe they permit a lower action?

lukejazz
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica

Duved is using 10's

Can't think of anyone else

lukejazz
  • JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ Dupont, Gaffiero, AJL

Stephane is using a hybrid set, with the E and B coming from the 11s, and the wounds being the lighter gauge. That's what I have been using as well and I think it's a great combo.

lukejazz
  • WillieWillie HamburgNew
    edited September 2022 Posts: 824

Manusch Weiss recently watched me playing on my Archtop and my Mystery, I use 0.11 Daddarios with each of them. Afterwards he told me: "The string gauge prevents you from playing freely. My proposition: please play 0.10, like I, Bireli and many others do, and Django himself did."

I use 0.10 Argentines on my Altamira and in fact find it more comfortable to play; but I love the tone of the thicker gauge on the other guitars.

lukejazz
  • WillieWillie HamburgNew

Back in the 70ies my guitar playing friends discussed if it was true that (Gypsy) Jazz guitarists used gauges up to 15 and picks made of coins.

• StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore

Django used 10's. From what I have heard, he was a pretty "big name player" 😀

lukejazz
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022 Posts: 867

I believe in Django’s time there were no 11’s only 10’s. All original Selmer guitars were strung with 10’s. I personally have an 11 on the E and the rest the lighter gauge on my Selmac guitars except my short scale (11’s) and my original Selmer which I keep as intended.

lukejazzwimrudolfochrist
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso

Fact is that in Django's years there were only 10's available but I think it's a better approach even if with the 11's you feel like you can lean on the string and rebound on it

lukejazz
  • pdgpdg ✭✭

Bireli uses 011s, I think, looking at videos. But many of his guitars (some Hahl) have a 650mm or so scale. Neck relief and action also can make 010s feel like 011s.

lukejazz
  • JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ Dupont, Gaffiero, AJL

When I made the switch to the hybrid set, the difference was very noticeable. I feel like I can be much more expressive on the instrument, and that the guitar "breathes" a bit more, if that makes any kind of sense. I won't be going back to all heavier gauges again.

lukejazz