DjangoBooks.com

Cigano GJ 10 vs Eastman DM1 Classic

Hey guys,

I own a Cigano GJ 10 and have the opportunity to purchase an Eastman DM1 Classic. Is it worth the money and will I notice an improvement in sound and playability?

Greetings from Germany :)

Comments

• vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M
    edited February 2022 Posts: 337

Yes….. both in volume and tone

don’t take it from me though, look at some of the demo videos here on Django books

MostiBuco
  • MostiMosti New

I will do that. Thanks a lot! :)

• jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F

I also own a Cigano GJ10 and would make the change assuming the Eastman is a nice guitar at a reasonable price. If possible, keep the Cigano for back up, travel, beach, friends, etc. It shouldn't diminish in value provided it is in good shape.

Mosti
  • MostiMosti New

I've been playing the guitar for two months now and I'm a bit disappointed. The neck is thicker than the Cigano and the high notes don't pop. They don't have that punch. Overall the sound is better and more open but the high notes sound a bit thin. The quality of the guitar is very good and the look is great. But does that justify 1100€ if you already own a Cigano GJ 10? I'm actually considering refunding the guitar. But is there an alternative in this price category? Shoult I really refunding the guitar? The thick neck and the thin high notes really bother me. but apart from that it's a great guitar. Overall better then the Cigano. But does that justify 1100€? I really don't know. I need your help guys!

• juandererjuanderer New ALD Original, Manouche Latcho Drom Djangology Koa, Caro y Topete AR 740 O

I've only ever played one Eastman GJ (can't remember which model) guitar and although I appreciated the quality, I think Altamiras are more bang for your buck sound/tonewise.

If you're happy with the Cigano I'd say save up until you find something you fall in love that you can preferably play before buying.

If you get stuck with the Eastman for a while maybe try different gauge strings and/or have the bridge looked at by someone who knows how to adjust it, if you can. Even better; a complete setup.

Buco
  • stuologystuology New

I think that what you have discovered is that upgrading from one factory guitar to another isn't much of an upgrade. If you're given a choice between a Cigano and an Eastman then I can see the argument for the Eastman as the better appointed guitar (although Cigano has a reputation for being very uneven with its quality control, I've played some fantastic Ciganos which feel and sound much better than their price tag). But if you've already got a Cigano, dropping a grand for an Eastman or an Altimira isn't going to feel like much of a step forward.

The next step up is a luthier made guitar, handmade by someone who has studied the originals and how they were built, who is also sensitive to the way they are played today.

wimBillDaCostaWilliamsChristopheCaringtonrudolfochrist