DjangoBooks.com

Determine bridge height for bigtone and avoid feedback with Audio-Technica AT 831b

Hi all,

I really want to buy a bigtone, like right away. But I don't know my bridge height.

I have a Cigano GJ-15 with, what I assume, is the default bridge height.

I love the setup, and I don't want to change the height, and so I don't know which dupont bigtone bridge to buy. Any help is appreciated.

I bought the Audio-Technica AT 831b this summer, and I have had a bunch of problems with feedback and too much bass (I absolutely must use the bass rolloff to avoid bass issues) – does anyone have any tips regarding this, and/or placement of the mic? I would like to find a solution that has a swan neck, so that I can point the mic directly at the strings, but the AT 831b don't seem to have anything like this.

Thanks in advance!

-Ari

Comments

• ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus

Hi Arimail - in my opinion, no need to buy a bigtone for a Cigano CJ-15... the guitar isn't worth the investment - especially since you have an AT831b already. If you want to amplify it easier, go for a Carlos Juan Sensor pickup. You can easily put it on another guitar if you wanted... and it's better tone.

+++

I use a AT8418 Gooseneck mount, and a guitar suction cup mount to position the mic just behind the bridge. It has a pretty balanced tone (still make sure the bass rolled off though), and is the most resistant to feedback.

Buco
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F

There is a demo from https://gypsyguitar.de/ that includes the Big Tone on a much better guitar than your Cigano. Click on the top, middle video and cycle thru until you get to the Big Tone. The sound is kind of quack-like, and not appealing. Are you playing gigs already? Do you really need to amplify? I have a Krivo single coil that sounds great on my Cigano GJ-10., and gives me a nice "chunk" when I play rhythm.

Here is a YT link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq7Ruv3wSZc

Gouchwimrudolfochrist
  • arimailarimail New

Hi Christophe, thanks!

As it turns out, Carlos Juan lives really close to me, so I'm heading there tomorrow to try out his mics!! I'm excited to hear how they sounds on my guitar. I'm also interested in those suction cups you are using – would you happen to have any links? Also, would the AT8418 gooseneck mount fit my AT831b?

Thanks again for your help, it's much appreciated. 🙏

• TwangTwang New

Big tones may well make a comeback if the new Baggs modelling preamps take off. Apparently they work best with piezos.

• arimailarimail New

Hi,

So I just came back from Carlos' place. He was really nice, and did such a great job finding my guitar's sweetspot and installing the CS sensor. I opted for the 'CS "Stochelo" Set', which includes the limited "Carlos 5 band EQ pedal". I'm sure the "VIP DM", which includes a microphone placed inside as well, would sound great. But I'm extremely pleased with the "Stochelo" set.

As I said, I am incredibly pleased with the sound – especially in tandem with his EQ pedal. I will upload a demo as soon as possible. I am planning to try blending it with my AT831b (Still really interested in that guitar suction mount of yours Christophe 🧐).

I know my Cigano GJ-15 isn't particularly expensive, but I love how it plays and I'm very pleased with it. With the system I have now, it's a very reliable and great sounding gig guitar.

Here are some photos of today's guitar excursion:

rudolfochristbillyshakesBucoChristopheCarington
  • ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus

Glad you found something you liked @arimail.

Also, nice choice for the guitar - I personally like the sound of the VIP system he has... but it's not passive (needs a 9v battery) which to me is just another potential failure point (which I try my best to avoid in my gigging gear).

I honestly don't remember where I got the suction cup thingy from - probably Amazon, just searching "guitar suction cup mount" or something like that. I couldn't find a receipt listed in my records, just a purchase record.

Also, the AT8418 gooseneck mount fits both the AT831 series, and the older less high-fidelity version (called the PRO 70 mic).

Finally, though you didn't ask, some friendly advice on EQ in general: take away, don't add. Artificially boosting can actually cause more problems (i.e. feedback) than increasing total volume. So I'd practically kill (take to -18db) that 100hz band, slightly lower all others, but leave 630hz at 0db to achieve a similar curve. Then, just use the volume knob to boost your signal.

Scoredog

Our member @V-dub has a mic attachment solution (not sure if it's worth the shipping cost), go about 1/3 of page down

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021 Posts: 872

Here is what might be an obvious comment but being I came from being an electric guitarist it had not occurred to me. Try not putting the amp directly behind you as an electric guitarist does. I now put the amp on the side of me or even in front, helps with curbing feedback.

On the BigTone I like mine with the Tone Dexter, a modeling pedal, my guess is Baggs saw it and went "we can do that". The Carlos sensor can function like a Piezo though I prefer the BT for using it with a modeler.

Twang
  • TwangTwang New
    edited December 2021 Posts: 411

The Bigtone is a totally invisible plug and play passive pickup. There are no visible wires, putty or attachments. Once installed you will forget it's even there and no-one will know you have a pickup on the guitar. There are no major feedback issues. They are plenty loud if installed properly.

For most people, they sound bad. They can't live with them, even with all the advantages listed above.

If the Bigturd sounded better than it does then everyone would be using them. The bottom would drop out of the DPA, Audio Technica and magnetic market.😁

Now we have some exciting developments in technology starting with the Tone Dexter and now the LR Baggs Voice print DI. This Baggs pre-amp is really starting to gain momentum in the acoustic world, gaining rave reviews. I wonder if we are about to see a long awaited amplification revolution in the gypsy jazz guitar world.

I'm starting to be glad I left the "never used" Bigtone in my guitar.

Mehran s
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator

@Twang It's worth noting that there is no one single "bigtone," but rather a plethora of piezo equipped Selmer style bridges manufactured by numerous makers; They vary greatly in quality, with the Dupont Bigtones generally being the best sounding ones. Some are downright horrible, but they aren't all like that.

Mehran sTwang