DjangoBooks.com

Testing out guitars back-to-back

ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus

Thought y'all would like to hear this quick comparison I put together, though the audio quality and chops aren't the greatest: https://www.instagram.com/tv/CWgii9yI5gp/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

BillDaCostaWilliamsgeese_comWilliePassacaglia

Comments

• geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503

Thanks for sharing. I think the first Stringphonic FV was the one I had on consignment with **** at the time!

ChristopheCarington
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭

Congrats on "Finding your New Baby". All Stringphonics I have played have been very nice.

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

Interesting idea but that also throws up a potential problem.

I am not criticising your playing at all but you said you spent four hours trying them although you don't say what time frame separates those edits. What can happen in that situation is the playing technique varies slightly according to distractions, tiredness, even maybe a pre-judged thought that 'this is not the one' can change the way you play. So where in a couple of cases you have a precise attack and vibrato that makes the phrase ring out, another time it appears a bit lazier, or rushed? Almost like practice fatigue setting in. I have also had a problem focusing on the differences in true sound in guitar shops, but probably even then only trying to choose between two, the more you try, the harder it will be to maintain consistency.

As I said, not a criticism, but possibly enough variance to influence choosing one from the playback.

• ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus

@ChrisMartin - absolutely. For your reference these cuts were back to back across about a 30 minute period. I have a lot more footage per each guitar, tried 10 guitars all together, and revisited many of them. I personally felt that this was the cleanest edit for others watching: ~1 minute vs ~1 hour type of thing.

At this point I'd already focused on just consistently playing each one, and already listened back. These were the contenders and a reference (the Favino was waaay out of my price range but what I liked the best).

I appreciate your worry, and I wouldn't recommend only buying on a recording only, but the recording was just a check to balance my impression while playing.

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

Sounds like you approached it with a well thought out plan.

You must have more patience than me !

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

The sides on that guitar you chose are very distinctive. I like it! Thanks for sharing the video.

• richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭

It's weird how low in volume the Md50 sounded in comparison.

• ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus

Yea - out of all the guitars I tried it definitely had the most "refined" sound. Very balanced, very modern... and significantly quieter. Not in this video was also a Dell Arte Hommage (Favino copy) that was also quite a bit quieter than the stringphonics and the original Favino's I played.

richter4208

Cool video. I'm lucky when it comes to choosing guitars. Every other purchase I weigh pros and cons to infinity and it takes me a long time to make a decision. With guitars, I know within a first strum. It either speaks to me or not. How it feels and plays also matters to me a lot. Even you said "yeah" as soon you hit a few notes on the #2. That Dupont is so much quieter that it makes me think something happened with the recording level.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel