DjangoBooks.com

Dupont Nomade D hole top warping

Schmitz93Schmitz93 Austria/CroatiaNew Dupont Nomade D hole

Hello guys, just bought my Dupont Nomade D hole, 2020 guitar. I bought it second hand, but it's hardly been used. Anyway, i noticed a little warp around the sound hole, on the high E string side. It doesn't couse any problems, and i saw one Nomad with much bigger warpings on both sides before. So my question is, is that something to worry about? Can it do a lot of damage to the guitar if it's not treated correctly? Or does it happen with a lot of guitars?

P.S. the warp doesn't go away when the strings are loosen.

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator

Check the humidity or lack there of where you store it and take it to play. Have a tech check it out.

Schmitz93
  • TwangTwang New

I have a nomade. It’s a fabulous guitar. The top has very little arch and is more like a flat top. This can make the area round the neck look like its dipping a bit. I don’t think you have a problem if the braces are intact. Most guitars have their quirks.

if it sounds great it is great

Schmitz93
  • Schmitz93Schmitz93 Austria/CroatiaNew Dupont Nomade D hole

That was my first guess. I will go and buy a humidity meter so I can check if the conditions are good.

I also like the guitar. Plays and feels amazing. I just wouldn't like to have some problems in the future just because I didn't take proper care of it.

Here is the picture of the warp so you can see what I'm talking about. It's not big and I don't think that it couses any problems for now, but it is there.

• TwangTwang New

Ok I’m no expert but my guess is that it’s still ok. The top of my Nomade, like most gypsy guitars tapers in towards the the cutaway. Is this not just the top bending towards the sides? Mine is an oval hole so can’t compare.

To be sure, you need the advice of someone more knowledgeable.

Schmitz93
  • jaredjared New

The big question is whether it was there before or whether it has started to move. Arched tops (even low arches) have to do some bending and twisting to meet sides. These guitars present some very complicated geometry to luthiers. That geometry can result in stresses at odd places and makes wood do things it doesn't really want to do. that is part of the sound of these guitars. We luthiers try to correct for all of the variables and eventualities but almost inevitably some little bit is flatter or curvier than we plan and wood gets squeezed in unforeseen ways. There are likely to be braces either side of that sound hole that could make those areas stiff and bend differently than the rest of the top forward of the soundhole. It looks to me like the fingerboard area has probably been forced onto a more flat plane where it meets the neck block.

Of course this is just speculation based on looking at one picture. Do check the humidity and keep an eye on it if the humidity is changing.

Schmitz93

Unfortunately, I cannot answer that. I got the guitar on tuesday, and noticed this warp yesterday. I didn't notice that when I was buying guitar, but then again, I don't believe that someting happened it those two days.

Update: after measuring humidity I got the next results: Case alone: 37%, Case with the guitar inside (but outside of the guitar): 42% , and case with guitar, and hygrometer inside of the guitar: 45%.

• richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭

My Altamira M01D for reference.

• BonesBones Moderator

40% doesn't sound too bad

Schmitz93Tomas

I've seen that on guitars. A friend's guitar has the same deformation at exactly the same spot on the dreadnought acoustic. @jared explained it well and I'm not a luthier but that look like something that's been formed and it's done.

jaredSchmitz93
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel