DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who's Online (0)

Related Discussions

Today's Birthdays

euryleia chrisd acalvane92 han13 slowfingers

Guitar with a large fingerboard radius (A small radius, I meant. See below.)

Similar to the radius on a double bass, in other words? Has any company made one? I do understand all of the reasons not to want a large radius. But I'd still like to play one.

Comments

• pdgpdg ✭✭

You probably mean large curvature (= small radius). On a string bass the fingerboard radius might be 3.5" (it's probably a compound radius) -- so you can bow one string at a time. Never heard of a guitar with so much curvature. On guitars the fretboard radius (if the fretboard isn't flat) might be anywhere from 12" to maybe 16" (sometimes less -- old Fenders maybe were 7.5").

Wim Glenn
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira MF01, Godefroy Maruejouls

I've played some old Hofners and Framus guitars which had a a really small radius. They were very uncomfortable to play, why would you want to play one especially a gyspy guitar.

always learning
  • JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ CB #42, Gaffiero Modèle Original

The only electric instrument that I am aware of that has this is a custom made Fodera electric bass that was made for Victor Wooten.

I'm sure Fodera would make a guitar version, but it won't be cheap.

• edited June 21 Posts: 4

Yes, I did mean to ask about a small radius. It may seem like a peculiar thing to want. It comes from playing a cello, holding it like a guitar. This may seem absurd, given the obvious limitations--the way the right hand would have to move to strike strings, the difficulty of striking chords with a pick, etc. My question arises, however, from experimenting with playing a cello like a guitar, and fingerpicking, which avoids the problems with the pick. This may seem to be a stretch, but it's something that cello players, faced with a small radius neck, experiment with, with varying degrees of success. Not me, here, and not a swing song:

The trouble is that the strings are of course heavier, so cellists end up playing it much like a bass. What's appealing about it, as a guitarist, is that it allows one to grab and pull strings more cleanly--since the strings are not on the same plane, and are more widely spaced apart, the right-hand fingers can pull them with more force without having to worry about striking adjacent strings. (Navigating the left hand around a curved shape is tactilely interesting, too, but that seems too obscure a pleasure to celebrate.)

Willie
  • JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ CB #42, Gaffiero Modèle Original

Oddly enough, this showed up on someone's IG story today. https://www.instagram.com/p/CQWnDEqqnGV/?utm_medium=copy_link

Willie
  • pdgpdg ✭✭

You should try playing a bass or tenor "viola da gamba." They are bowed insruments but have 6 strings, a wide and curved neck, and even frets! They're even tuned (relatively) like a lute.

BucoWillie
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Musicalia, Bucolo et. al.

I have two Guitarra Portuguesa, both have a radius around 4 or 4.5 inches, although obviously a shorter scale length...perhaps a relative like a cittern, octave mandola or bouzouki might have a similar tight radius.