DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who's Online (0)

Related Discussions

Jazz Clarinet blog by Samantha Wright featuring Hubert Rostaing et. al.

AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Musicalia, Bucolo et. al.
in Woodwinds Posts: 372

nice to see a talented young British jazz musician talking about Django-collaborator Hubert Rostaing alongside many other great clarinettists.

She's making transcribed solos available - hear her music on instagram too.

https://www.instagram.com/samanthaclarinet/

|\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
/,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'
|,4- ) )-,_ ) /\
'---''(_/--' (_/-'

Comments

• rudolfo.christrudolfo.christ Worms, GermanyNew Dupont MD-100

Thanks for bringing this up.

Recently, I found out about the Albert system and that those old New Orleans Jazz players preferred it and now I’m all hooked 😊.

Unfortunately, Albert System clarinets seem hard to get nowadays. I have inherited a German System clarinet from my grandfather. @AndyW is it better to start with the German system and switch once I can get my hands on an Albert system clarinet or should I wait until I have one and then start learning?

AndyW
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Musicalia, Bucolo et. al.

hi rudolfo, I don’t play either system, I’m strictly Boehm system, and it’s Boehm I’d advise learning and playing.

I’m not at all convinced by the advantages of Albert system for Jazz, and I feel you can get close to the vintage New Orleans sound with Boehm system instruments, particularly with large-bore bodies, open mouthpieces and lots of practice. 😛

rudolfo.christ
    |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
    /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'
    |,4- ) )-,_ ) /\
    '---''(_/--' (_/-'
  • rudolfo.christrudolfo.christ Worms, GermanyNew Dupont MD-100