DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Related Discussions

Who's Online (0)

Today's Birthdays

thorjensen LukasSunse italyjazz83

D hole vs. Oval hole

This may have been done before, but I haven't seen it anywhere.

What is everyones thoughts on this subject? Why do you prefer a D-hole/Oval hole guitar? I've seen a lot of players switching back and forth from time to time, usually playing lead on both, so the d-hole isn't just a rhythm guitar.

Comments

• Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    The pick is easier to fling into the D-hole during that crucial point in your solo.

Josh
    BlueSkies
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

generally, the D-hole guitars have a shorter scale length and 12 frets to the body, while the oval hole have 14 frets to the body with longer scale length. for this reason, d-hole is considered a rhythm guitar, and oval hole a solo guitar, but it doesn't really matter - IE personal preference is what counts. also there are d-hole models that come in oval hole sizes now so you can have the best of both worlds.
  • MinorBluesMinorBlues New York✭✭✭
    Josh Hegg wrote:
    The pick is easier to fling into the D-hole during that crucial point in your solo.

Josh

Yes, but also easier to get back then if you dropped it in an oval hole right?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

generally, the D-hole guitars have a shorter scale length and 12 frets to the body, while the oval hole have 14 frets to the body with longer scale length. for this reason, d-hole is considered a rhythm guitar, and oval hole a solo guitar, but it doesn't really matter - IE personal preference is what counts. also there are d-hole models that come in oval hole sizes now so you can have the best of both worlds.

I know about that, but a 14 fret to body D-hole and an oval hole - will there be much of a difference sound wise? Or are some of these guitar players just switching back and forth for the hell of it? (Bireli, Joscho and some others)
  • Charlie AyersCharlie Ayers Salt Lake CityProdigy
    In my experience D hole instruments, even when built with the longer scale, retain some of the sweetness and midrange prominence of the short scale D holes, and lack the harshness in the trebles that some Selmer copies have. I think the tonal differences between D and oval holes mayc be explained by the difference in bracing.

Charlie
  • Bill McNeillBill McNeill Seattle, Washington, USANew
    I like the look of the D-holes slightly better, just because they're so distinctive, but for me the deciding factor was the nut width. On all the Sagas and Cordoba's I saw, the oval hole nut width was narrower than that of the D-hole, and the latter is too wide for my hand.

I guess I could have gone further afield and found a non-Saga or Cordoba D-hole with the narrower neck, but the look doesn't matter to me that much, plus I'm cheap, plus I wanted to buy from Michael so as to do my part to get Gypsy Rhythm completed.
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    the main reason I went with an oval hole is that it was easier to attach a Stimer. It can be done on a D hole, however.

I really think that most of the difference in sound occurs from the player's perspective (it's easier to hear yourself playing the d hole), and that the sound of D hole and oval hole guitars is pretty similar to the audience.
  • djadamdjadam Boulder, CONew
    I'd say that the D-hole gives a little more reference to the person playing it, which probably only makes a difference in acoustic settings. The oval hole definitely has a more focused "beam" of sound and to my ears, it's a little less available to the person playing it.