DjangoBooks.com

Replacement strings suggestions

Hi there,

Given the situation when you're unable to get a "Gypsy" string set, what would you use instead? Electric set+wound 3rd? Acoustic? What are the differences of those with proper gypsy strings, if any? The core material? The wound material? Both?

Thanks for the advice.

Comments

• juandererjuanderer New ALD Original, Manouche Latcho Drom Djangology Koa, Caro y Topete AR 740 O

My main criteria would be the gauges. With that out of the way, whatever I can find that's closest to nickel-plated copper-wound strings.

Silk and steel work fine.

• crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole

What about silk and steel - I've just strung a gypsy guitar with Pyramid silk and steel and it sounds even better than with Argies.

criminel
    always learning
  • criminelcriminel buenos aires✭✭✭

"nickel-plated copper-wound strings." That can be easily obtained in an electric set, minus the the wound third... The third would be the hard to find I guess

Thanks!

Another vote for acoustic silk and steel.

criminelPassacaglia
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M
    edited October 2019 Posts: 337

l use Martin silk and steel eleven gauge

criminel
  • mac63000mac63000 Tacoma, WANew Geronimo Mateos Jazz B

How does the tension compare on those silk and steels to argentines?

I forgot to mention that I mainly use D'addario Gypsy (because they're almost the only ones available over here). Then again, I still wonder if an electric steel set would work, providing that I can put a wound 3rd instead (but in this case it would be a different color 'cause it will be an acoustic single string)

• How do silk and steel hold up in terms of volume?

• vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M
    edited October 2019 Posts: 337

To my knowledge silk and steel silver plated, is identical to a typical gypsy jazz String set. I also use DiAdario gypsy jazz strings and I don’t feel any difference in tone or volume

I guess then the only real concern is gauge and tension. Most acoustic sets come with a .47 6th string (or higher). I wonder if that calls for trouble with the truss road or other.