DjangoBooks.com

Gitane

mschafftmschafft New
edited October 2019 in FAQ Posts: 25
Hello guys,

I'm going to check out a used Gitane with case. Could you please tell me if there are any potential issues to check out. Are there fake ones?

Thanks a lot for your attention,
Manny

Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    u 'd have to try the instrument to see if it's to your liking. Looks like the real deal. Hard to tell if there are any issues without actually playing the instrument but those are usually good instruments

I think if u can negotiate it down to 500CHF, it would be a decent deal. At 590, it's an OK deal.

In the US, sometimes they go for 400-500USD used but Europe is generally more expensive.
    mschafft
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    I used to have a Gitane DG-255 and it was a well built guitar. The guitar seemed to have a problem with overtones, or unwanted "ringing" of notes. Some on the forum say that it improves if you sand the finish off the top and/or body and refinish, but that seemed to be a lot of work. I have a Cigano GJ-10 with a satin finish that is cheaper, and sounds much more authentic without the overtones.
    mschafft
  • mschafftmschafft New
    edited October 2019 Posts: 25
    Thanks a lot for your input guys. I'm going to try it tomorrow. I hope it's a long scale.
  • mschafftmschafft New
    double post
    It's a Selmer scale length yes, 670mm.
    mschafft
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • mschafftmschafft New
    I bought it. Thanks guys. Was set up by a luthier so it's buzz free. It sounds glorious!!! Gorgeous too!
    Buco