DjangoBooks.com

Chief Wiggum on Minor Swing Sweet Georgia Brown

edited June 2006 in History Posts: 67
On Minor Swing (original) at the end somebody says 'oh yeah' in a voice that sounds a lot like Chief Wiggum from The Simpsons? Please somebody tell me that's not what Django's voice sounded like, I would be so disappointed.

Also someone near the end of Sweet Georgia Brown says something like 'one more set, one more' wonder if anyone knows who's speaking. It struck me as odd that it was in English and has been bugging me for a long time.

Any ideas? Cheers

Gray

Comments

• kerouackerouac Near LuxembourgNew
    Tach,

I don´t know exactly who it was, but it could be an engeneer, as HCQ recorded in London.
    (This information is not confirmed)
    kerouac...formerly known as SwingOpi.
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    There are several members of the HCQ doing the "Oh Yeah" at the end of "Minor Swing" and it is claimed Django is the pre-eminent voice you can hear. However, it could be Louis Vola who was apparently prone to adding the odd vocal encouragements during live concerts.

"Sweet Georgia Brown" is Django. It was probably considered cool to shout "One more time Steph...." etc in English since jazz was an English/American language based music.

In some of his interviews, Django sounds to have a very gruff voice and is clearly not a great orator.
    Are there interviews recorded then? Do you know if there is anywhere on the internet you could hear them?
  • trumbologytrumbology San FranciscoNew
    Please somebody tell me that's not what Django's voice sounded like, I would be so disappointed.

No, Django had a perfectly modulated basso that, when he spoke in English, sounded just like James Earl Jones. Now rest easy friend.

Of course, I'm not serious. I wouldn't care if Django sounded like Porky Pig. His coolness is beyond debate. I get what you're saying about the timbre being near Chief Wiggum's voice, but when I hear the "aaah, yeahs" on Minor Swing, I just envision a bunch a french guys who have just egged each other on to a brilliant performance having a laugh at the end. Better than letting out a rebel yell, which I could see following a performance of that intensity. Long live Chief Wiggum; all hail Django.

n
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Yeah, the Wiggum soundbyte isn't exactly the crowning moment of his recording career. On the bright side, Django wasn't a grunter like Keith Jarrett ! A little Chief Wiggum from time to time just adds character, but Jarrett does this gutteral vocal stuff during solos that is just flat disturbing - like Mr.T. with the stomach flu.

Hmmm... stream of consciousness... Keith Jarrett & Joe Cocker would make an entertaining duo, wouldn't they?
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • CuimeanCuimean Los AngelesProdigy
    Bob Holo wrote:
    Hmmm... stream of consciousness... Keith Jarrett & Joe Cocker would make an entertaining duo, wouldn't they?

With Bob Wills on violin and random high-pitched vocal interjections.