DjangoBooks.com

Daniel Givone at Django in June 2019

Hi Folks:
The website has not been updated yet for next year (working on it! working on it!) but I just stumbled upon this corner of the forum and thought I'd let folks know that Daniel Givone will be joining us for the first time at DiJ in 2019. He'll do a two-part workshop on Tuesday afternoon (before Django Camp gets officially underway.) That will be oriented toward players who plan to attend lead guitar classes at Level 1 or 2. Then for the remainder of the week he'll be teaching at Level 3.
Happy New Year to all...hope you can join us come June! Dates are June 10/11 - 16.
~Andrew

Comments

• muddymuddy Southern New EnglandNew Gitane DG-250M

He was fantastic. Daniel wasn't on my radar, when I saw and heard him, he blew me away.

Great choice, Andrew!

AndrewLawrence
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator

I would say that any beginner starting with this book could not go wrong. The hardest part about this book is that it is in French, but I think most people could partially read it.

I had a great time at his lesson in DIJ 2019 and his book has been very useful (I have studied it for a year now). I found that Denis Changs system and Christian vanHemert's system have some crossover and similarities to the arpeggio patterns found in Daniel's book. So, think of it as supplemental to those, not necessarily additive. I find Daniel's book to also be very similar to a formal CAGED system.

I think the best value-add contained in Daniel's book is the long form excercises he prepared, to help you memorize the patterns, by playing the patterns up the neck in all 5 positions.

Josechiky
  • delb0ydelb0y ✭✭

I've just ordered a copy of the book. I know I'm way too late - by many years - for the forum group but am looking forward to getting involved, even if I am by myself :-)

djangology
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator

The good news with starting late is that you will learn way faster and that the guitars these days are way better than they used to be (IMHO).

wim
  • delb0ydelb0y ✭✭

I'm starting late with the Givone books, is what I mean. I've "tinkered" with GJ for ten years or so, but pretty much have never made any progress because other musical commitments have taken up most of my practice time. With most of those other commitments easing I've now an opportunity to spend some serious time on this style.

Guitarwise, I have a Manouche Modele Jazz - seems pretty nice to me, although I have nothing to compare it to. So it may be a real dog. Many years ago I had a Gitane DG250 - the bird's eye maple one - which was beautiful to look at but the neck was so thin that I tended to get left-hand cramp easily and quickly.

Regards

Derek

BucoBillDaCostaWilliamsDeuxDoigts_Tonnerre