DjangoBooks.com

Played a Godin Gypsy Jazz Guitar today

Keith MurchKeith Murch Ontario Canada and Naples Florida✭✭ Dupont MD50 and several archtops
Finally, I had the chance to take the new Godin Gypsy Jazz Guitar for a test drive today. It is beautifully made and it played great with a perfect action. The electronics seem to cover all the bases, with three different pickups that can be blended for endless tonal possibilities. I really liked it and I am very interested in buying one but I would really like to spend more time with it first. I currently have a Dupont MD-50 with a Bigtone in the bridge. It sounds amazing acoustically but I have always found it difficult to get the sound I am looking for when I amplify it on a gig. I have tried everything in terms of amps, preamps, etc. and nothing seems ideal. The Godin, on the other hand, would probably be a great gigging guitar. It is designed to be amplified, and would give the player a lot of control over volume, EQ, etc. right at your fingertips. Having said that, I am not sure it would sound authentic. It wouldn’t really be satisfying in a GJ setting if it ended up sounding like a regular flat-top acoustic guitar with a pickup. Has anyone else had the chance to play the new Godin? I would be interested in any thoughts you could share.
Keith

Comments

• jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    edited October 2018 Posts: 705
    The Godin doesn't look too great, but I'll bet it is fun to play.
  • jeffmatzjeffmatz ChicagoNew
    I'd love to see one in person...

If the electronics are anything like those in my duet ambiance nylon string model, these Godin gypsy jazz guitars are going to be a game changer.
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    Keith, I would stick with your Dupont. A Baggs para-acoustic DI and an AER Compact 60 should get you a pretty good gig rig if you want an acoustic sound. If an electric sound is OK for the gig (they are for all of mine where I play my Dupont), a Krivo pickup along with any good jazz amp should do the job.

IMO, the only Gypsy guitars that beat a good Dupont are the best vintage Selmers. And who wants to take one of those to a $100 gig?
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • Keith MurchKeith Murch Ontario Canada and Naples Florida✭✭ Dupont MD50 and several archtops
    edited November 2018 Posts: 50
    Thanks Marc. I wouldn’t let the Dupont go. I was just thinking of the Godin for louder gigs. Your advice is appreciated. Interestingly, I have been much happier with the sound of the Dupont’s Bigtone since I added an LR Baggs Venue DI to my chain. I decided to go for that one instead of the para-acoustic DI. because I like the built-in tuner and boost switch (for alternating between lead and rhythm). I also have a Krivo p/u which sounds great for the electric Django tone. I probably should resist the urge to get another guitar right now. As you said, the Dupont is about as good as it gets.
    Keith
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    Keith, that Venue DI sounds like an upgrade to my old Para-acoustic DI. I cannot see the Godin doing what a good Dupont does. Amplifying an acoustic guitar with anything other than a microphone will change the tone (and not for the better). And microphones do not work except in the controlled concert arena.

One simply needs to dial in a gig rig that works. It sounds like you already have the stuff. Repeat after me, "I will resist the GAS" :)
  • Keith MurchKeith Murch Ontario Canada and Naples Florida✭✭ Dupont MD50 and several archtops
    I will resist the GAS. I will resist the GAS. I will resist the GAS.
    Stringswinger
  • Agree with @Stringswinger. Very few GJ guitars I've heard or played beat my Dupont. I've been through the ringer with sound and settled on the Peche pickup. In a cafe settings where I play 95% of my gigs, no other pickup/mic combo has satisfied me. Krivo is a great choice also, but I like having a volume knob and besides, the Peche looks cooler. Is the sound acoustic. No, but I've let it go!
    Also glad to see that @Stringswinger, as good as he is, makes no more $ than I do!!!!
    rgrice wrote: »
    Agree with @Stringswinger. Very few GJ guitars I've heard or played beat my Dupont. I've been through the ringer with sound and settled on the Peche pickup. In a cafe settings where I play 95% of my gigs, no other pickup/mic combo has satisfied me. Krivo is a great choice also, but I like having a volume knob and besides, the Peche looks cooler. Is the sound acoustic. No, but I've let it go!
    Also glad to see that @Stringswinger, as good as he is, makes no more $ than I do!!!!

I am pretty happy with the sound of my Krivo, for a magnetic pickup. A volume control sure would be nice though. There is a used Stimer for sale locally (at a good price). I have read a few reviews that suggested the Peche might be a more balanced pickup than the Stimer. Is that your opinion as well?
    Keith
  • I've never played a Stimer but I've never had any issues with lack of balance with Peche. My lead player uses one also. Additionally, in some dealings with the company, their attention to customers and service is phenomenal. They are little pricey but worth it in my opinion.
    I have owned a vintage Stimer, a Dupont Stimer reissue and a Miller balanced version of a Stimer. None fit on my Dupont (I used them on other Gypsy guitars that I owned at the time). The original Stimer and the Dupont reissue were unbalanced and the hot B string made them unsatisfactory for me. The Miller had low output and really needed a pre-amp (and it lacked a volume knob). The Peche does look cool, has a volume knob and from what I hear is well balanced. If one would fit on my Dupont, I would own one, but so far, the Krivo Nuevo is the only one that fits my guitar (It has a very arched top).