DjangoBooks.com

Ultimate Django Book

Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
edited May 2006 in History Posts: 1,261

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Hmm...I haven't seen that one before. Is it available on the musicroom site? I couldn't find it in their catalogue. For an easier to read song list, if anyone's interested: http://www.idmusic.fr/fichenews.php?art_id=28

I'd be interested to hear some reviews, too; it looks like it could be good!

Best,
    Jack.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, it looks like they might have used the Peters Anthology as a starting point and added some tunes. Am I right in thinking that it's just come out this month?
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I should have this soon...
  • ramsezazramsezaz Paris, FranceNew
    It's still hard to get, even in France, as it's really new.
    It's been compiled by Max Robin, who writes for two french guitar mags : Guitar Part and Guitariste Accoustique.
    His columns a really great, so I think this books will be quite good too.
    my lutherie blog : http://ramsezaz/blogspot.com
  • stochestoche ParisNew
    And Watremez is involved as well...!
    I talked yesterday about this book with doudou, Max seems to have done a very good work. Both are excellent musicians.
    And by the way Doudou is working on Raffalli's transcriptions (the Brassens stuff...). It's hard hard work!
    Bye,
    stoche

http://www.djangostation.com/breve.php3?id_breve=782
  • stochestoche ParisNew
    Hi Ted,
    The record is taped. This is a whole record of Brassens tunes, as the first one was. And the record "should" be realesed with Fremeaux again, in next september.
    But nothing is signed yet I guess... so wait and see. Another friend who own the bar where Raffalli took the cover pictures of the new record (there is a "video-clip" as well...!) said the CD would be released in a few weeks...!
    bye
    stoche
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    I have just received this book and at first glance, it looks excellent. A truly massive publication containing 81 Django Reinhardt compositions in notation and tablature, and with chord diagrams. There are no note-for-note transcriptions of Django solos but the basic themes/melodies and accompaniments are illustrated in detail together with various Django intros, outros and passages of particular interest. For example, the way Django plays the theme to "Pêche à la Mouche" in chord form is shown and there are some very interesting shapes for "Troublant Boléro", "Anouman" and "Pour Que Ma Vie Demeure".

The chords shown are not necessarily the shapes that are now considered to be "gypsy jazz chords" but are based on what the HCQ rhythm guitarists probably played at the time although some of them in the "special passages" are the specific shapes that Django actually played. After such a brief look, I cannot vouch for the accuracy of everything in the book but from what I've seen to date, it is most impressive.

If that was not enough, there is also a very informative summary of the key events in Django's life together with many photos and illustrations. Several of the photos are very rare and some I have not seen in any other publication.

All the text is in French with English translations and this approach has been so assiduously applied that the caption "Photo X" in French is translated to "Photo X" in English; the italics clearly resolving any potential confusion for us English speakers. :roll:

I have shelves full of Django Reinhardt music books but this is amongst the best and from my initial perusal, I would recommend it highly . It is expensive but I am sure Django and gypsy jazz enthusiasts will feel it is money well spent.