DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who's Online (0)

Related Discussions

Today's Birthdays

Bjørn Tore Færaas cardona

10 string mando chording

dunbarhamlindunbarhamlin Leamington Spa, UKNew
edited May 2006 in Mandolin Posts: 7
Hi folks

New to this list and to trying to play jazz on mando.

I use a Ridgeback 10 string - with a low C course (a bit telegraph pole like (52s) but tonally a pretty good match for the other coarses)

To get into the style, I'm working through Minor Swing at the mo, sticking to the top four courses melodically while I get the feel. For rhythm though, doing this often feels at odds, as the bass line of necessity frequently fails to present the figure of the original (because I run out of string).

As a rule of thumb, would it be most appropriate to try and preserve the bass figure of the accompaniment, and fill in the rest until I run out of fingers, dropping root and fifth (unless the bass tone) when necessary? Or should I consider the overall colour of the chord more important?

Thanks
Steve

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I wouldn't worry about the bass notes as much. Guitarists change those all the time anyway...just get the harmony right.

Good luck!

'm
  • dunbarhamlindunbarhamlin Leamington Spa, UKNew
    Excellent, thank you.

I'm having heaps of fun, but wanted to make sure I wasn't frittering my practice time, since I need (well, OK, want) to split my free time between practicing and building (current WIP Ridgeback tenor guitar and cittern).

Steve