DjangoBooks.com

"I'm in the Market For You"

Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
edited April 2018 in Eddie Lang Club Posts: 1,855
During the 1980's in Toronto, I was lucky enough to become a friend of the late great Jeff Healey, who died of cancer in the early 2000's.

For those of you who only know Jeff as a rock guitarist, let me assure you that he was one hell of a jazz guitarist, too! Plus, he was a great guy with a wonderful sense of humour.

Jeff and I were both Eddie Lang fans, and I wish I could find the mix tape cassette which he once made for me composed entirely of obscure Lang sides from his huge collection of 78's.

One of my favourites on that long lost tape was a silly tune called "I'm in the Market for You", apparently written in response to the stock market crash of 1929. This recording featured the songwriter, whose name I can no longer recall, singing, accompanied by himself on piano and Eddie Lang on guitar.

I've always liked this song ever since, because it reminds me of both Eddie Lang and Jeff Healey.

So here it is, 'I'm in the Market for You" from a recent live performance by my band, Dr. Jazz and the Jazzbugs, in Buffalo, NY. Brian Bauer, vocal and clarinet/saxes, Ed Woods, bass, and me on guitar and banjo.

Will
Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
Bucot-birdMarkA

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    Thanks Will! Nice work!

Marty Grosz does a nice version of this one too (as long as we've been talking about him)
  • That's a touching story and thank you for sharing it. I was aware of Jeff Healey outside of that awesome saloon movie, but had no idea (but not surprised) he was a jazz player.
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    There was one especially fun drunken night with our mutual friend "Steve Burr" (not his real name), who unfortunately finally managed to drink himself to death....

Jeff and Steve had a game of changing song titles to make them more Jeff-centric by changing the word "see" to "feel"... e.g....

"I'll Feel You In My Dreams"

"I'll Feel You Again"

"The More I Feel You, The More I Love You"

and their all time greatest:

"I'll Be Feeling You, In All The Old Familiar Places..."
    Jim KaznoskyBillDaCostaWilliamsbillyshakes
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl
    So here it is, 'I'm in the Market for You" from a recent live performance by my band, Dr. Jazz and the Jazzbugs

Great!

• MarkAMarkA Vermont✭✭✭ Holo Epiphany, Gibson L-5
    Thanks for sharing the story and recording Will. Fun song, lyrics by Joseph McCarthy and music by James Hanley.