DjangoBooks.com

Does anyone have a Django best-of Spotify Playlist?

TydidesTydides
in Repertoire Posts: 36
That I can follow?
I want to make the Django switch to streaming.

My collection has always been a little fragmented and my properly considered best-of playlists are now lost to me so I need to do another survey/curation, but in my time here you guys have led me to some absolute jems that I swear I never heard. And others I didn’t realize had such standout solos in them. I still feel like there are recordings I haven’t heard!

Thus, collectively I feel like it would be great to pool our efforts toward a superlist of the greatest songs or songs with the greatest Django solos. Now that Spotify is mainstream, this will be easy to share with everyone.

After which, each to his own for tweaking/adding/deleting, of course.

Related question: I assume integral is the most complete collection, and it isn’t on Spotify (although Djangologie is), so is Spotify complete if you add everything together? Or no?

I couldn’t find a definitive thread here detailing the complete Django discography (in the least number of releases). But I assume there’s more than one way to Frankenstein it together.

Man, if he was such a flake, how did he manage to make over 1000 recordings? And in a time when that shit was tough and expensive!

Thanks!

Comments

• morriconemorricone Asterstein, Koblenz, GermanyNew Cigano GJ10 Harley Benton HBMC 500
    Unfortunately I haven't made a playlist of Purely Django's recordings. I have however got a pretty extensive Gypsy Jazz playlist containing some Django plus a lot of other cool stuff.

https://open.spotify.com/user/elinfoot/playlist/7sqvlA27sXMEGQHCdGykGW
    wimBillDaCostaWilliams
  • Brad HermanBrad Herman San Francisco, CANew JWC Modele Jazz, Stankevicius Alena, Alexander Polyakov Selmer #6
    "Best of", aka the whole catalog

;)
    billyshakes
  • geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503
    edited March 2018 Posts: 461
    Here is a good start:

Django Reinhardt - 100 Classic Masters

https://open.spotify.com/album/0lBG6lhwglnFlCeBUaKD89
    Buco
    I use Spotify for most of my listening and it has a lot of GJ. The problem with Django is that a lot of it is bad audio quality. Albums with the filter to remove old vinyl noise which a lot of times makes it so painful to listen, it really is unlistenable. Plus while there's still a lot of Django stuff, it's really thinned out over the last years. Stuff I had saved has disappeared. Plus other weird stuff, like this album @geese_com, thanks man, put a link to. Once I clicked on the link the app on the phone automatically opened the album but if I search for it it doesn't show up under Django.
    Currently the most comprehensive compilation is Djangolology consisting of 20 albums in chronological order:
    https://open.spotify.com/album/7IlYF8DHDMPsbZLxBznNnw?si=EnaCLVA5QSSJOmG2cfJRKg
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • TydidesTydides
    Yes Buco, it is weird, they do have a search problem. It’s a shame, about Spotify. You’d think there wouldn’t be any special reason to be incomplete with old jazz stuff (not moving much money around anymore but it pads the Spotify catalogue).
    Nonetheless I have a hard time with iTunes for all the normal reasons but as a final straw I can’t get it to name the titles with just song, instead of the whole artist, album, song (which is pointless, takes forever to scroll and nowhere is any UI even designed to show a lot of text at once.
    I was really hoping for the organization and all in one nature of Spotify. I wonder if Apple Music is any better.
    I had this problem with Fats Waller, I had a collection (complete recordings, there are a ton)I got at the library a long time ago with a ton of corny (but charming) songs on it but a bunch of the solos (short, either before or after the singing) were incredible and no one ever listens to them any more!! You won’t find them on any compilation or anything. And on Spotify I look through everything Fats Walker (a there is a fair number). Couldn’t find any of my favorites. Why?
    Label stuff I guess. Stuff should in the public domain shouldn’t it?
    Again; nonetheless, imperfect as it may be I don’t see why one wouldn’t want some Spotify Django playlists of various types, for different moods. There are a lot of big band recordings with Django that tend to get skipped (or don’t even have Django solos). There’s curation to be done, 1000 recordings is a lot.

I’ll come up with a different question and new discussion topic for it I guess.
    I tried and used for several months simultaneously Spotify, Deezer, Rhapsody and Apple Music. Rhapsody has a miniscule GJ catalog, Apple Music for some reason had weakest sound quality and I couldn't tell a difference in sound quality between Deezer and Spotify on a pretty good stereo setup so it didn't make sense to pay more for Deezer. Spotify has by far the best design overall, UI and features. Outside of my stereo setup, I use Sonos speakers around the house and with the Spotify connect it's a great combo.
    Oh and Amazing Slowdowner creator managed to get it to integrate with Spotify, that was what really sealed the deal to keep using Spotify. So with all their shortcomings it's still the best. And I listen to the music more when I can see cue something so quickly than when I was listening to the CDs (I skipped mp3s, they were PITA). The drawback is that I became much less familiar with the titles of the songs and whole trivia around the performer names, the year issued and such. With no box and the booklet you lose the reference, I know the music but not much else.

I love the idea of having different Django playlists for different moods. If you get it going, I'll contribute.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503
    I use Google Play Music and am pretty happy with the GJ selection on there. Plus I get to download albums and playlists to my phone. Another cool feature is that when you update a playlist on the computer, it will automatically sync and download to your phone if you saved it for offline listening.
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F

I listen to Pandora's Django Reinhardt Radio and it offers a nice selection of Django, HCSF, Gonzalo Bergara, Jorgensen, Rosenbergs, etc. I have been listening to YouTube lately as there are a couple of 2 hour plus Django only play lists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUiRtFRzbxQ&t=5000s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3dPSYgypH4