DjangoBooks.com

Django's String Gage???

BonesBones Moderator
in History Posts: 3,319
Does anyone have any idea what string gage Django used?

Thanks
pdg

Comments

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited November 2017 Posts: 1,457
    I think they were the Argentine strings then too, 10's, although the manufacturing process was probably different in some ways. This has been discussed here a few times before. The most authoritative comment came from Sam Adams (via Teddy Dupont):
    The strings were of extremely light gauge and when I played a few chords I was amazed at the lowness of the action

The heavier 11's are a modern thing, an idea proposed to Savarez by Romane if I recall correctly. If the 11's were available in Django's time he probably would have switched to those immediately, as he switched away from the short scale instrument, for more power on the high melody notes.
  • pdgpdg ✭✭
    Somewhere I might have read that he used an 011 as the 1st string -- which he could have gotten separately. But I'm not sure.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    That makes sense. Thanks Ted!
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    Django was once asked how he managed to get guitar strings during the war and he implied he had some very good contacts. - Perhaps Baro with his blackmarket activities. ;)
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Yep, I bet if anyone could get them it was the maestro! Thanks for the info.
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    I thought the same when I read Ted's comment. Django was known to hang out with some dodgy types and gangsters, not only Baro, and certainly everything would have been available on the 'black market' if you knew the right people and had the cash; Django certainly qualified for both of those during the war years. But, I still like the idea that we are hearing music from those times recorded under extreme conditions of shortages and fear, possibly with less than ideal equipment.
    BeroSinto
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Well certainly he could pick up a pretty poor instrument with old strings and still make it sing.....
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    Bones wrote: »
    Well certainly he could pick up a pretty poor instrument with old strings and still make it sing.....
    I have seen others who could do that, the true mark of a great player.

• BonesBones Moderator
    From the manufacturer:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your message.
    Django Reinhardt used to play our Argentine strings because they are the only ones perfectly adapted to legendary Selmer-Maccaferri guitars.
    You can learn more about our Argentine strings on our website. We have 4 differents sets from 10-45 to 11-46. Both sizes are adapted.

Best regards,

Margot MAIRESSE
    Chargée de Communication

SAVAREZ S.A | 5, avenue Barthélémy Thimonnier | BP133
    69 643 Caluire et Cuire Cedex | FRANCE
    Office : +33.4.37.40.32.03
    [email protected]
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    I've read accounts of Django playing gigs with broken/missing strings because he'd forgotten to bring along spares, and he'd use whatever was handy for a pick if necessary.