DjangoBooks.com

Stimer or Miller pickup?

Hello fine players out there. Does anybody have an opinion on this subject? The Miller PU supposedly has a thinner profile, which might work better on my Pigalle (lower action). I'm not opposed to raising the action if the Stimer reproduction is better. I know there are many players out there with the Stimer. Are there any out there that use the Miller? Thanks. Brian

Comments

• fraterfrater Prodigy
    Never tried a Miller but my Stimer ST51 is absolutely great and I would certainly recommend it. Incidentally: it's cheaper then the Miller, isn't it?

There should be no problem with your Pigalle: I managed to use it on a Gitane 250M with no problems... although it is usually stuck on my Dupont MD50E (a perfect marriage!)
  • Brogan eyeBrogan eye Portland, ORNew
    I appreciate the reply frater. I believe I'm leaving towards the Stimer. As far as the $, that depends on whether you buy the Miller with the volume knob or not. It is a separate knob that you have to attach, which also is not as exciting as having the whole p.u. on one unit. Thanks, Brian
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Originally I meant to buy the ST48 mainly because it's just one unit, it has no floating volume knob you got to attach to the top and, last but not least, it's the model Django used. Then I had the chance to test both the ST51 and the St48 and, IMO, the tone of the ST51 was a bit better (i.e. warmer). So I decided to live with the knob!
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    He (Django) used both. Just as a side note :wink:

Cheers,
    Josh
  • djadamdjadam Boulder, CONew
    Just wanted to resurrect this thread to ask - has anybody tried the Miller PU yet? Any opinions?
  • SpaloSpalo England✭✭✭✭ Manouche Guitars "Modele Jazz Moreno" No.116, 1980's Saga Blueridge "Macaferri 500", Maton 1960's Semi, Fender Telecaster, Aria FA65 Archtop
    I have one and I'm really happy with it. Powerful and a great sound with my Manouche Modele Jazz.

Sadly, I'm having to sell it - as a non-gigger I can't justify having it when other domestic things are laying claim to my meagre cash resources!

SP
  • djadamdjadam Boulder, CONew
    Spado, have you used a Stimer? Just curious how they compare. Thanks for the feedback.
  • SpaloSpalo England✭✭✭✭ Manouche Guitars "Modele Jazz Moreno" No.116, 1980's Saga Blueridge "Macaferri 500", Maton 1960's Semi, Fender Telecaster, Aria FA65 Archtop
    Never played a Stimer.

It doesn't sound like any of the Django electric recordings I've heard but I don't have my amp as loud as DR did in 1947 and, of course, the biggest factor, I ain't Django!

SP