DjangoBooks.com

Rounding off a Wegen

Searched a bit and couldn't find much on subject. I recently played with a Wegen 5mm, don't know which particular model, which was rounded on all ends. Totally loved it for rhythm but it was really hard for me to solo with. I was wondering if anyone using a beveled Wegen has ever rounded the other ends off to play rhythm but then still have bevel point to solo? I'm assuming sandpaper would do the trick.

Comments

• Yes..... coarse to remove (120-180) then work up to 400 to finish
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • altonalton Keene, NH✭✭ 2000 Dell'Arte Long Scale Anouman, Gadjo Modele Francais, Gitane DG-330 John Jorgensen Tuxedo
    Jazzaferri wrote: »
    Yes..... coarse to remove (120-180) then work up to 400 to finish
    I second that. In my early days of attempting GJ, I started with a Fatone. The novelty of a pick that thick and beveled intrigued me, so I bought a Button, which has a wonderful bevel, and a 7. I loved the bevel of the Button and the thickness of the 7, so I shaped the tip of the 7 to match the Button. I wrapped a piece of 120 grit around a wooden shim to do the shaping, then to polish and clean it up I used 180, 220, 320, and then 400 grit. I swear Michel Wegen used to have similar instructions on his website, but I can't find them anymore. The results were great. It is fantastic for rhythm, pretty decent for leads. Don't use it much anymore, though.

Jazzaferri
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    The M350 is a rounded Trimus, which is to say that it's a rounded 3.5mm Wegen with approximately the Gypsy Pick profile. It is a phenomenal rhythm pick, but not ideal for lead playing. I mean, you can - but it's not ideal.

My favorite all-around Wegen is the BigCity 2.2mm. It's dark & smooth enough for rhythm, but thin enough for lead. The tip is more rounded than the Gypsy Pick series, so the 2.2mm BigCity is a darker sounding pick than the 3.5mm Gypsy Pick.

YMMV, but before you carve up a $20 pick and lose its resale value - Wegen does make picks that do what it sounds like you want.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • bohemewarblerbohemewarbler St. Louis, MO✭✭✭✭ Jordan Wencek No.26, Altamira M01D-12 fret
    Coincidentally (not that my opinion carries any weight), since my last post stating I prefer the 1.8 over the other BigCity Wegen picks on a past thread, I have since changed to preferring the 2.2.

To me, the slight additional mass in my finger tips just seems to allow my hand to move more freely over the strings without feeling I've got a big chunk of something between my fingers.

However, I still round out the pick so that it forms a circular shape. This provides me, at least psychologically if not physically, the sense that the pick is staying in position while playing.

I must say though, that when I warm up for self-practice, I start with the BigCity 1.4, gradually move to the 1.8, and finally to the 2.2 where I stay locked in.
    What I do is ask my wife to pick me up a few of nail files with multiple coarseness surfaces in one stick. You get from course to buff and shine all in one stick, it has 6 different textures. They wear our quicker but are cheap and everything is there for you.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    rgricet-bird
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    edited January 2017 Posts: 393
    My favorite all-around Wegen is the BigCity 2.2mm. It's dark & smooth enough for rhythm, but thin enough for lead.
    I tried one of those tonight (I think it's the 2.2 mm; it feels slightly more thick than a Dunlop 2 mm) and my goodness, it's a good pick indeed! A funny thing is that I never thought I'd like it. I bought it years ago and found it impossible to handle. Now, I believe this, and another old Wegen that has gathered dust for a long time (Twin?), will be my first choices in the near future. Very good tone. Makes it fun to play the guitar again. Goodbye Dunlop!
  • bohemewarblerbohemewarbler St. Louis, MO✭✭✭✭ Jordan Wencek No.26, Altamira M01D-12 fret
    Man up, Buco! Having your wife buy the nail buffer for you!!!
    I know man. But imagine a forty some year old dude coming up to a 22 year old cashier at Ulta beauty store and toss a handful of these in front of her?
    Need I say more...
    JazzaferriNejc