DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Related Discussions

Who's Online (0)

Today's Birthdays

reprobatemind paul.provosty jmarcus KerryUxq5 BobbyKiefer

How does fitting a magnetic pickup to your guitar affect the acoustic tone?

Hey guys! I'm thinking of grabbing a guitar which the guy has fitted with a magnetic pickup like Django used on his later recordings (I love this sound by the way!). I was wondering if anyone with any experience of this, could tell me how it affects the sound of the guitar when it is not plugged in? Since my brother and I have a more traditional gypsy swing duo we practice a lot unplugged, so the acoustic sound of the instrument is still important to me. I would have thought that sticking a big piece of metal over the sound-hole would affect the sound at least in some way. What are your guy's experiences?

Comments

It mutes the sound.
    At least for me, I'm using the Krivo mounted with blue sticky putty.
    I'm not sure if I got it right but it sounds like you're talking about having the pick up permanently mounted? Like that Shopis guitar in the other thread.
    Noah said it's not much of a compromise acoustically.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • OwlCaponeOwlCapone New
    I'm talking about an oval hole guitar with a pickup fitted over the hole, like a Stimer. I've decided on buying the guitar anyway, as it's a steal. I'm probably gonna use it equally for bop as well as unplugged gypsy swing jammin', so was wondering if it would be fine just to leave the p/up on there for both purposes
  • definitely will change the sound a bit
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • woodamandwoodamand Portland, OR✭✭✭ 2015 JWC Favino replica
    Buco wrote: »
    It mutes the sound.
    At least for me, I'm using the Krivo mounted with blue sticky putty.
    I'm not sure if I got it right but it sounds like you're talking about having the pick up permanently mounted? Like that Shopis guitar in the other thread.
    Noah said it's not much of a compromise acoustically.
    Uh - but you notice quite a bit of muffling on your guitar with the Krivo mounted Buco? Is that right? That is a big worry for me.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 3,549
    Yeah it gets muffled. But what's the biggie, you won't go to the jam with Krivo mounted on it?
    It's not so much that I notice when I put it on, it's more when I take it off that it occurs to me the guitar started breathing again.

PS imagine listening to your guitar through a nice HiFi system. Then imagine listening to it through the 80s tape deck. That's the difference between the pickup on it/off.
    The jam session I go to is all acoustic, so yeah it would make a diff. I don't know why I have the bug to get this,its not like I am in a band or anything. Maybe just another case of GAS.
    Great analogy BTW
    It's just fun to play through the pickup sometimes plus if I may notice, judging from your history there's no way for you not to end up in gypsy jazz band eventually.
    yeah, I miss being in a band...........but not running a band, you know? GJ/Swing etc that would work just dandy for me
  • It dampens the sound somewhat, as others have said. If you plan on being in a situation where you will be playing acoustic, pull the pickup off. I have a noisy restaurant gig where we need to amplify and the mag ended up being the best choice for the situation. It doesn't give me the most acoustic sound, but I can hear myself and don't have to put in a lot of effort to be heard (which I've dealt with in the past...no dynamics at all). Most of these pickups are temporary installations.
  • Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    A Lace Ultra Thin is small enough and light enough to have almost no effect on the acoustic tone. Sounds excellent. Doesn't cost a fortune. Not for the "historic reenactor" types but it has all the the right stuff sound wise , doesn't weigh much , which is key for the non muting and doesn't cost a fortune.